The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Folding hackle

For many new tyers and lots of experienced tyers, folding hackle is a pain in the butt.
I am a late learner and a slow one at that, but a friend sent me this and I finally understood what I was supposed to be doing and how to do it properly.
Hope this helps someone.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Folding hackle

Kerry,

I almost never watch videos but I did take a look at this. It will help some people to get a better looking wet fly. I have my own style but this guy should be commended for sharing his. Good post

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry: Very good tip, thanks for sharing!

Larry
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry, thanks for that one!

I'm new to Salmon Flies, in general, so this is a really nice tip for me.

I tie mine in with the same tip-clip that he uses, but then I fold mine between the thumb and forefinger while it's on the hook (a lot of people that I've talked to, particularly those who have been tying Salmon Flies for awhile, say that you should fold the hackle before putting it on the hook). I've noticed that when you fold hackle, if you pinch it between your thumb and forefinger down close to the stem (rachis), you get a better fold and one that doesn't tend to re-shape itself back to the original barb position. So, my conclusion from that was that the pinch is actually fracturing the barb and that it's that fracture that causes the fold to stay where you want it.

The use of the scissors tends to reinforce that thinking for me, since I would think that the scissor blade probably puts a small slice in the barbs, which would also set them in the folded-back position.

Great tip! I'll bet Greenwood would like to see this one; with all the soft hackles that he ties up. I'll PM him about your thread.

I guess I know what I'll be trying out this morning!

Pocono
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That helped me Kerry. Thank you.
That would make a nice "how to".........sticky for the forum.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I am glad it has helped someone here. For me folding was always a mystery because I don't think I learn from text very well. Visual aids certainly work for me and I hope for others as well. I know that running my spey hackle surely became easier and I am posting a comment to that effect for this fellow.
Take care.....Kerry
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool tip. I've never seen the scissors thing before. I will have to give it a try.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:05 PM

I had heard of it but never actually figured out how to do it by reading the description. I had to watch it twice to get it right anyway. He runs the scissors up against the natural bend. I did not use the blade, rather the sharper edge of the closed blades. Good luck with it....Kerry
Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 AM

saltyer is on a distinguished road

An interesting video, certainly shows how to do it using the scissors.
I find that what works well for me is to tie in the hackle stem, apply a quantity of saliva & then fold back the hackle to the required angle, wrap it. When in dries out you have a hackle tied in a nice slope.

Barry