The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 AM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what did you tie today

I tied up a few BWO hackle stackers, some glass-bead bodied caddis pupae, and a few crease flies and poppers.

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

super bowl sunday i tied 4 soft hackle Pheasant tails, 12 soft hackle Hares ear's and about 15-18 light Cahill's in sizes 18 and 20 both parachute and traditional for the upcomming season. man i have tied more flies this winter than i ever had not even a month since puchasing my 100 packs of mustad hooka and i have like 15 size 14 standard nymph hooks left. wow i need a life.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Stacked deer hair flies, then a clouser for good measure.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

This is one of the stacked deer hair flies I was talking about.
Click the image to open in full size.
Dan: Very nice fly, you are the stack deer hair guru!

Larry
Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Partridge and Orange
Western Green Drake
Elk Hair Caddis (olive)
Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
I know the feeling on the Goose biots....them things kick my rear too...cant ever seem to get them the way i want.
sometimes I will lick my finger, then the biot will stick to it, then I don't have a finger and thumb in the way.....try it it might work for you to
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Today, I just practiced tying a handful of white and chartreuse clouser minnows.
Cabot
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dan: Very nice fly, you are the stack deer hair guru!

Larry
Thanks Larry. The trick was to watch the video and then keep tying them till I get it right. By spring I will have a giant pile of them, but they oughta be pretty nice by then.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Stacked deer hair flies, then a clouser for good measure.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

This is one of the stacked deer hair flies I was talking about.
awesome tie dan. i noticed the collar on your diver is at a perfect 90 degree angle to the trimmed head. how do you do that, mine always end up way past 90 degrees. am i trimming the collar too far back? should i make the trimmed head shorter?

its kind of hard to see in this pic, but you can sort of see how the collar isnt at 90 degrees.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The way I get it to stand up in the middle like that is to pack the heck out of it. In fact I bent a hook packing it the other day. Mighta been pushing a bit to hard on that one. If you notice how compact the hair is on the front of the head, there isn't much room for the hair to do anything but stand straight up. Do you have a packer? I have aso been using the tube from a ball point pen to push the hair back while I work the thread back forward of the hair, and get the first wrap on the shank. It's actually a great tool. I use the writting end as a tiny packer and half hitch tool, and the other I put sticky backed velcro, hook side, as a dubbing picker. One trick I found to get it tight is while you push the hair back, take a couple of tight wraps between the packer and the hair. Then half hitch right against the hair, put some head cement on the half hitch, and then pack the heck out of it again. I use tough thread also, Gudebrod GX2 and Kevlar. That way I can use a pretty good hunk of hair and get the thread down good. I found a second video showing stacking. It's mostly fishing and talking about a guy named John Fehnel. He's the guy that tied the fly I bought and inspired me to figure this stacking thing out. In the brief bit they show him stacking, you get a good view of how he gets the patterns. Once you tube gets done doing whatever it is they are doing and I can look at my history, I'll post it.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

They are still doing maint. on You Tube, but I found it anyway. He starts the fly about 4 min in.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I tied some of these, but now I am working on bass sized poppers.