The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Re: what did you tie today

On Sunday:
6 PTN's
4 flashback GRHE's
4 practice ties for CDC bubble grannom's (early season drys swap)
Dyed cdc & deer hair

Monday:
12 "early season drys" swap flys
2 black stones
1 gold stone
3 royal coachman wets
Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

today i tied a grifiths gnat (idk y just wanted to)

then i tied a bugger with white tail and white hackle but a flashy pink chenile
Old 02-20-2010, 01:54 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
today i tied a grifiths gnat (idk y just wanted to)

then i tied a bugger with white tail and white hackle but a flashy pink chenile
How's the difficulty of the gnat? I was thinking about trying one.

- Justin
Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons_j_m View Post
How's the difficulty of the gnat? I was thinking about trying one.

- Justin
i just tie size 16 gnats all i have material for and thats as big as id go but the size 16 is pretty easy. hardest part is just getting a hackle wrap that you are happy with and then on a fly that small i always have trouble finishing them off. but give it a try theyre one of the easiest dry flys i know of and perform well to
Old 02-20-2010, 10:43 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I am experimenting with poppers. I finished these up today. I like the paint job, except the eyes, the eyes need some definite work.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang! Nice poppers! I have found that painting eyes I get pretty good results with paper matches. I cut the end with a finger nail clipper to the size point I want. They are cheap and work real well. Brace your hand on the vice when you paint eyes so you eliminate the "shakey wobbles".
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Gave a try at some Griffith's Gnats... sz 16, struggled for a while but finally started getting it together. Realized I need to get some different hackle, which should eliminate a lot of my issues... will be ordering some whitings 100 packs soon.

- Justin
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Dang! Nice poppers! I have found that painting eyes I get pretty good results with paper matches. I cut the end with a finger nail clipper to the size point I want. They are cheap and work real well. Brace your hand on the vice when you paint eyes so you eliminate the "shakey wobbles".
Yes, I will have to come up with some kind of trick to eliminate the hand shake when I do the eyes, if not I will just add on eyes. It is hard to go over the exact area that you did already, because you have to be so exact. Glad you like them otherwise. This is just some experimenting. I did another batch before these that had a couple of sliders I liked very well. Paint wise, I did that is. There was a slight hook gap problem, but otherwise a decent looking popper.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

2/21/10
I tied a 4 size 10 red San Juan Worms.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

today: two #14 Mosquitos; one Partridge and Yellow; one Tup's Indespensible (almost same pattern)'
yesterday: crayfish from "Fly Tyer" magizine (many hours).