The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Mystery Wing Material???

A couple of months ago I was at a fly tying demo night. One of the tyers used a sparkle translucent wing material for wings on some spinners. He said that it was material that he ironed (melted/ sort of welded together) into a sheet and then wing burned the wings. I'd like to find some. Anyone know what it could have been?
Any other material for burning some good sparkle wings upright or spinner type?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:33 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Mystery Wing Material???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
A couple of months ago I was at a fly tying demo night. One of the tyers used a sparkle translucent wing material for wings on some spinners. He said that it was material that he ironed (melted/ sort of welded together) into a sheet and then wing burned the wings. I'd like to find some. Anyone know what it could have been?
Any other material for burning some good sparkle wings upright or spinner type?
Hi Jimmie
This I made my self.You need iron(not very hot),two sheets of nylon folio(that one that you have for food in your refrigerator ) and some yarn in between that folio...one minute job

caddis
Click the image to open in full size.

spinner

Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Jimmie- the stuff he was using was likely "ORGANZA" you can buy it at fabric stores.

There's also a material used for packing delicate flowering plants, like orchids. If you have a Lowes or Home Depot near you, talk to someone in the indoor nursery section. This stuff is plentiful and they just chuck it out after unwrapping the plants- the wrapper from one plant has enough material to last probably a lifetime.

Madjoni- beautiful flies! Love the sedge fly
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Joni,
Nice flies and interesting wing material, very creative Have you been watching Martha Stewart?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Thanks stimmy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
Joni,
Nice flies and interesting wing material, very creative Have you been watching Martha Stewart?
Thanks mate...living far far away from any store and even country that sell fly tying stuff made me too
I dont know who that lady is
Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm waiting for that caddis imitation to start wiggling...most impressive!

Kelly.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Madjoni: Those are wonderful looking flies, especially the work you did on the wings, gives the fly a very natural look, congrats!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful flies Mladenand great tip to make wings.you should repost it in the little tricks to share thread
Old 04-14-2011, 02:51 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

madjoni, I'm sorry but as far as I know we don't have any thing that we call nylon folio that we use in the refrigerator?? Any other hints? I looked up Organza, which very well may be the stuff, but it's not used for food applications that I know of...any more help anyone? I would love to make up some of this stuff and tie some flies with it.

Kelly.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Thanks guys
If I knew that you will like this so much I will do it long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
madjoni, I'm sorry but as far as I know we don't have any thing that we call nylon folio that we use in the refrigerator?? Any other hints? I looked up Organza, which very well may be the stuff, but it's not used for food applications that I know of...any more help anyone? I would love to make up some of this stuff and tie some flies with it.

Kelly.
Mr.Kelly
My knowledge of english language is big obstacle I suppose
I didnt knew proper word Sorry,you do have same thing.I seen that in many movies ...etc.It is very thin and it is used for wrapping food .Problem is what you call plastic we call nylon .Sorry !
This is it