The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Mono weed guards

Nice job Kelkay...

Dan
Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've never tied poppers...yours are absolutely awsome!great great job!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys I appreciate that.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:49 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

You can also put a 90 degree bend in a piece of mono, tie it in with the angle toward the hook eye, then bend another 90 in so it passes under the hook point. Weed guards made this way will travel in a fly box without the guard getting bent away from the hook. If it does get misaligned, it's easy to put back in place.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:01 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I am trying to envision that. Do you have pictures?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
You can also put a 90 degree bend in a piece of mono, tie it in with the angle toward the hook eye,.
Is this a loop that hooks on the barb?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I have not tried it but I think a good idea is to use wire as a weed guard. They material is tougher and it is simpler to make. Lefty recommends stainless steel trolling wire. You can preform it and just tie it in at the head. He uses #5 trolling wire for flies from size 6 to 1/0. Size #7 for larger flies.

You can form it in several ways like just straight down and angled back a bit with the a bend in the tip back towards the hook tip. You can use two or you can make a continuous one that is a loop. You can place a loop over the barb. Just use your imagination.

Frank
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Trolling wire? I guess I have never seen that. I have looked before, but heard most people like mono for poppers. I have just started making any kind of weed guard, so it is all new to me.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've used the wire guards
They work great, but they're 'pointy'
I impaled myself good one time, that was enough for me.
Your mileage may vary
Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM

Oh my that doesn't sound fun. I was sharpening a treble hook once, and embedded it in my finger all the way to the shank...it was not fun either. If I use these, I will have to remember to be very careful!