The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Mono weed guards

Okay guys and gals, I am making poppers the past couple of days. I am applying a single weed guard. Does anyone have a good method for this? I wrapped the back of the hook with the mono...came up under the hook...brought the line up through the eye of the hook...burnt the end with a lighter...pulled it in...while it was still hot I used a bodkin and made sure the eye was open, then I wrapped the thread over the line right behind the eye of the hook with thread. Is there a better way, or will this do it? I have only done ONE so far, so I have had virtually no experience with this.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mono weed guards

I do the single mono loop weed gaurd all the time. You don't need to do the lighter part. I have been doing deer hair flies and put hair almost to the eye. After I get all the hair I'm putting on I put 4 or 5 wraps of thread and do a whip finish. Trim the deer hair to shape and put it back in the vice. Put the mono up through the eye and adjust where you want it. Then push it up against the bottom of the fly with your finger and get a few good wraps on it. Then pull the mono hard down over the top of the eye and back. get a few good turns on the thread. Clip the excess off the mono, finish the head and whip finish. I have never had one come loose yet. The stacking part is new for me.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. I used 20 pound mono. What does everyone else use?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I put the mono through the eye, give it a few wraps and trim. Then finish wrapping, tie off and run a hot bodkin through the eye to melt the mono

I've found the a single mono guard doesn't last long if you fish in heavy cover, so I always tie in two.
When one gets bent out of shape, you can cut it off and still be good to go
Two 20# loops aren't anymore of a problem when hooking fish than a single one.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

For cork and foam bodies a down and dirty way to form a weed guard is to poke a hole in the body with a hot bodkin or pin and super gluing a piece of hard mono (Mason) in the hole.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
For cork and foam bodies a down and dirty way to form a weed guard is to poke a hole in the body with a hot bodkin or pin and super gluing a piece of hard mono (Mason) in the hole.
I had the type of foam before where you had to use a hot bodkin to get legs through, then before I could pull it out, the thing got stuck. I ended up using a few choice words over that ordeal. That batch of poppers was the only ones I had ever done, until now. A fella told me about Perfect Poppers with soft bodies, and there was no turning back. So I just finished my first few poppers and sliders...and I am pleased with them. A bodkin can go through the body without being heated up. I was so thrilled about that. The bodkin went through, then I pulled it out and put a threader through the foam again....in the same holes...then attach the legs, pull though, and wahl lah...it is all working out great. Even better the popper bodies were given to me by someone who likes making his own. He uses a Dremmel I think to do this with. Poppers are fun to make, but a lot of work.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Okay I am going to post a couple of pics with a weed guard on them. These are sliders I guess you would call, with an inverted body. (or maybe divers?)

I will also put in a popper too.

These are the second time I have tried to make poppers. I enjoyed these more than the last time I tried to make them a long time ago. I don't know if you can tell what the guards look like from the photo. I bought clear mono today, these are green. The next batch will have clear weed guards on them.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Those are some fine looking bugs. Beautiful paint job.
However,I see a couple of problems.
The major one is the space between the body and the the hook point, especially on the bottom two. You'll need a wider gap to guarantee a hook up.
The reasoning behind using the stinger hooks is to have the widest gape possible
Also, I think you'll want to lash the weed guard further down on the hook bend
I do mine about halfway
More like this one (not my picture)

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the pointers.