The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Catching The Salmon Fly Bug; Materials (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/12667-catching-salmon-fly-bug-materials.html)

Hardyreels 02-14-2010 09:32 PM

Catching The Salmon Fly Bug; Materials

Well, now that a good number of you are hooked (pun intended) what unique materials or techniques have you accumulated thus far?

Pocono 02-14-2010 10:36 PM

Re: Catching The Salmon Fly Bug; Materials

The below materials are clearly not new to Salmon fly tyers, but they are new to me; many of them have been showing up recently in my maibox ;)

Feathers / Skins:

Blue Chatterer
Indian Crow
Florican Bustard (sub.)
Toucan
Macaw
Pheasants of all kinds (Reeves, Lady Amerst, Golden, etc.)

New sources of materials:

John McLain - Feathersmc.com: Home
Rens Pilgaard

Old books:

(a friend who has been tying Salmon flies for some time told me to start off with the "3 bibles" on Salmon fly tying; Hale, Kelson and Pryce-Tannatt. I'm through Hale and Pryce-Tannatt, heading into Kelson now)

The Salmon Fly: How to Dress it and How to Use it; G. Kelson, 1895

How to Tie Salmon Flies: A Treatise on the Methods of Tying the Various Kinds of Salmon Flies: J. Hale, 1892

How to Dress Salmon Flies: A Handbook for Amateurs; T. Pryce-Tannatt, 1914

The last book has a logical progression of flies; going from the relatively simple Grub style flies (but don't read easy to tie; at least not for me), to the very complex flies like Jock Scotts, etc. I'm tempted to give that sequence a try. Doing something by the book would be a new experience for me.

Another good contemporary book is Paul Jorgensen's Salmon Flies, Their Character, Style and Dressing; 1999

Anyway, it's all new to me and a lot of fun in the learning, the accumulating of materials and the tying of the flies. It's not inexpensive though.

PS I just set up a new computer and it's not liking the iSpell function. So, until I get that bug worked out on Windows 7, be patient with my spelling and grammar; which may look a little more than remedial at this point.

ChrisinselwynNZ 02-15-2010 12:28 AM

some ...... parrot wings and its tail
golden pheasent tippets ill have the topping soon
silver pheasent pelt

thats all so far

There is a feather mearchant in the north island that is quite reasonable;)

and thanks to Allan some salmon hooks
I think I have found a supplier in the US that will send some to nz at a reasonable price:)

The main reason people in NZ dont tie salmon flies is material availability the net has helped with this

Chris

Guest1 02-15-2010 12:48 AM

My newest is Alec Jackson 1.5 hooks. Embossed tinsel. Really good Bronze Mallard wing. And really nice Golden Pheasant crest.

Good link Pocono!

Pocono 02-15-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 82421)
My newest is Alec Jackson 1.5 hooks. Embossed tinsel. Really good Bronze Mallard wing. And really nice Golden Pheasant crest.

Good link Pocono!

Here's a couple of more sources:

Jens Pilgaard - Fugl & Fjer Fluebinding (Denmark's a long ways to go, but his wing feathers are among the nicest that I've found; on a par with FeathersMc) You want an encyclopedic list of Salmon, Spey, Dee, etc. tying materials, this is the place to find it.

Castle Arms (Fred Castleman) - Fly Tying Feathers, Furs and Equipment. Everything for Classic Salmon Fly Tying.

Belvoirdale (Gaelic Supreme hooks, etc.) Belvoirdale

I've found that when it comes to materials, you can never have too many sources; particularly in this economy when you're "go to" source can suddenly disappear. :eek:

Jimmie 02-15-2010 11:52 AM

Acquired: Black Bear hair; Dark Mallard
On the List: Embossed tinsel; Golden Pheasant Crest; AND Jungle Cock nails.

Hardyreels 02-15-2010 05:03 PM

Jimme,

Here is a guy I order from and he is in your area; Fly Fishing Gear, Fly Fishing Rods, Fly Fishing Reels at Off The Hook Fly Shop

Tell him (Frank) that Ard from AK sent ya..............;)

Kerry Pitt 02-15-2010 05:18 PM

I have dealt with Off the Hook from up here and found Frank to be really good to deal with. I had to buy waders on line and he helped me make sure they were going to work for me via e-mail. Saved about $120 Can. as well. Great guy to deal with.:)

Jimmie 02-15-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 82482)
Jimme,

Here is a guy I order from and he is in your area; Fly Fishing Gear, Fly Fishing Rods, Fly Fishing Reels at Off The Hook Fly Shop

Thanks Ard. Hadn't heard of that shop, but now have it in my "favorites" list.

Pocono 02-15-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 82482)
Jimme,

I purchased an A Grade Jungle Cock skin from Fred Castleman (Castle Arms in my above post) for under $100.00 US. If you're going to work with JC eyes in any quantity, then I think that a whole skin in a better way to go than purchasing individual nails or nail subs.