The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Tied my first Wooly Buggers

I just got into fly fishing and a guy I kinda know just gave me a bunch of material for tying flies. I've been reading up on the forum here and searching the web for information. I picked up the Orvis Fly Tying Guide and decided to give a shot at the Wooly Bugger pattern...

First Wooly - Sz 10 hook, black marabou, olive chenille, and grizzly hackle.

Click the image to open in full size.

Second Wooly - Sz 10 hook, Olive marabou, peacock herl, and grizzly hackle

Click the image to open in full size.

Let me know what I might have done wrong as I'd like to improve. It might be my pride, but I'm trying to do this without a class... who knows, if I can't get it, I may have to bite the bullet and take a class.

Thanks guys for your constructive criticism...
Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: Tied my first Wooly Buggers

they look better then my first buggers! i like to tie mine with bead heads, i like to get them down deeper faster. nice ties.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
they look better then my first buggers! i like to tie mine with bead heads, i like to get them down deeper faster. nice ties.
Thanks for the compliment. I forgot to mention I did a lead wrap on the shank, .025. I'm hoping that is enough to get it down.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

For your first flies it looks and sounds like you are doing all the right things J M. Congratulations on your fly tying debut.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Congrats on your first buggers, a nice fly and a nice job on them. tie some up with an olive body and a cinimmon tail, they work good if you swing them through the pools at the end of a riffle or strip them slowly through the slow water. if your weight is not enough, and it should be, then you can always add a split shot to them. i like to tie mine with just a little weight on the fly and use split to get them down, they flutter better in the current in my opinion that way.

d
Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
For your first flies it looks and sounds like you are doing all the right things J M. Congratulations on your fly tying debut.

Ard
Thanks Ard. I've never been an artistic person, but fly tying actually gets me thinking pretty creatively... I think it could turn into quite the hobby of it's self.

Dave, I'll try the cinnamon tail... I take it you've had luck with it on the Truckee? I don't know how possible it is, but I'd like to tie one that resembles a little rainbow trout... spinner fishing the last few years always yielded results on a rainbow rapala.

I know the Bugger is a pretty easy tie as far as technique is involved... any ideas on a next up in difficulty?

- Justin
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Justin,

Yes, I have had some luck on the truckee and up at Lake Davis with this pattern, i think they resemble crawdads more then trout, but the fish tend to like em.

d
Old 02-19-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Justin,

Yes, I have had some luck on the truckee and up at Lake Davis with this pattern, i think they resemble crawdads more then trout, but the fish tend to like em.

d
Was up at Cabelas tonight picking up a new vise and I saw some cinnamon. I should of bought it but it was 6-7 bucks for a few feathers... I'll do some shopping around for it for sure. Looks like tomorrow will be our last decent day before another storm rolls through.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:39 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

nice flys. ive only been tying for a year so somebody correct me if im wrong but the tail on the second one looks a wee bit big. (at least its too big for my liking but its still nice)

and then second this is just something to remember i still sometimes have trouble with this but with a bugger if you arent tying a bead or cone head try and make the thread head as nice and neat as possible.

but keep up the good work
Old 02-20-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
nice flys. ive only been tying for a year so somebody correct me if im wrong but the tail on the second one looks a wee bit big. (at least its too big for my liking but its still nice)

and then second this is just something to remember i still sometimes have trouble with this but with a bugger if you arent tying a bead or cone head try and make the thread head as nice and neat as possible.

but keep up the good work
I agree, the tails are a little too big and the heads should be neater. I fished both of them yesterday and didn't get any hits, but they swam well. I'll keep tying these just to get comfortable with the tying techniques involved. This was my first tie without any instruction but a book and I'm sure I'll have it locked down soon

Thanks for the tips FF117.

- Justin