The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 AM

mepeterser2451 is on a distinguished road
Default partridge skin quality?

hey everyone, i got this second chance offer on ebay for this hungarian partridge skin for $15 w/ shipping. Just wondering if it looks like a quality skin or if you know of a better source for bird skins. if not i'll probably do cabelas.

Hungarian hun grey partridge feathers fly tying 02 - eBay (item 260557133599 end time Feb-22-10 06:56:54 PST)
Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: partridge skin quality?

It's hard to tell the quality of the skin from the picture. The way that I look at it is that you will have at least $15 of usable feathers. A quality skin sourced through Wapsi (most shops, including Cabelas, carry Wapsi Fly Tying Products) will charge you at least $30.

MP
Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Yep, I second that. $15 is a good price, the skin looks pretty good so I think that you could do far worse and pretty much every feather us useable.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that you will probably not lose any money going with the e-bay offering,.......but, if you willing to spend a bit more you will get a top notch skin with many more high quality useable feathers.

I'm know there are also other shops that offer only the highest quality materials available like those @ 'Blue Ribbon Flies', but they are one of my favorite shops so I'll point you in their direction, besides Craig and Jackie are 2 of the nicest folks/flyfisherman you will ever meet.
Blue Ribbon Flies \\ Merchandise \\ Fly Tying \\ Soft Hackle Materials

'Blue Ribbon Flies' is owned by Craig and Jackie Mathews and they harvest many (if not all) of the bird skins themselves during the Fall hunting seasons throughout the mid-west and west.

I know 29$ is a heavy price to pay for a hun skin, but if you look at the bigger picture it will be very well worth it in the long run.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*