The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default material sources

What would be a good source for online materials not looking for anything specific but a general good source.

Thanks,

AB
Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: material sources

Cabela's is a reliable source, Feather craft, Anglers Workshop which has really good hard to find stuff, castlearms.com same thing on the unusual stuff, feathersmc.com has some pretty cool stuff if you tie Salmon flies. Fugl & Fjer Flytying, English version is another source for interesting stuff. One of my favorites is THE FLY SHOP - FLY FISHING EQUIPMENT, GUIDE SERVICES, AND INTERNATIONAL FLY FISHING TRIPS which has a lot of stuff and I have never had a problem with them. That should get you started.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Ab,

Depending on what you are sourcing, there are a few materials I like to hold in my hand before buying. Deer hair is an example-- I like to feel 'bounce' in the hide-- not a thick, dense feel-- I feel that 'bouncy' hair spins better.. Beware-- not all belly hair is created equal....
Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 PM

brainiac is on a distinguished road

I have had good luck with Thornes. Decent prices and selection. The shipping is a bit slow as it comes from Canada.