The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default re: DANVISE Out, New Vise IN

The potential exists for ANY vise to spit a hook or to have the jaws chip and throw a piece of metal. I recommend always wearing glasses of some kind when tying! (Easy for me to say, since I have to wear reading glasses to see the fly when I tie flies!).

FYI - I use a Peak vise, and when I called with a question the guy who answered the phone was Kurt Pflock, the President of Peak Fishing. Kurt is a very friendly and helpful guy who quickly resolved my issue at no cost to me.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'm a Danvise owner. Smallie's title didn't bother me either. To each his own. I can say that I can't relate to any of his issues. I like the plastic (space age), my rotary works perfect, no problem holding hooks smaller than 20's, and best C clamp hands down, IMO. I agree the jaws are set too close to the shaft so I got the extension. My only criticism is the extension was loose and had to be shimmed up with cardboard. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if looking in it's price range, under $100. If looking in next price range I'd go Peak vise, and hope too someday. All that said poor customer service will turn me off faster than anything and in Smallie's situation I would have made a change too.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

I was wondering if some one can change the title for me I cant .. I feel bad saying Danvise sucks... I would like to reword it sayind Danvise out new vise in
Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I agree with Smallieman - can someone change the title to "Danvise Issue !! ....................." ?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:29 AM

edsflyshop is on a distinguished road

Peak defiantly has the best vise on the market for the money. I agree, the people from Peak are great people.

Last edited by edsflyshop; 03-06-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:25 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Love the Black Foot Mongoose. earlier this summer when i was looking for a vise it was either the danvise or the mongoose (mine doesnt have cam jaws either) i went and looked at them both and could see that the mongoose was worth the extra money. so far im happy with it ive tied a bunch of flys on it and my only real big complaint is the C clamp wont hold to my desk real tight. but that was an easy fix i just put some sticky corkboard stuff on it and now it holds fine
Old 03-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard great reports on the Peak rotary, but have no hands-on experience with it. I have a Renzetti Traveler rotary and really enjoy working with it; particularly since I've gotten into tying up Rangeley streamer patterns, Steelhead patterns and Atlantic Salmon flies.

For dries and nymphs, I still use my trusty Regal Medallion; with midge jaws. Great hook tension and enough turning motion to allow me to view my flies from the top and bottom, in addition to the sides.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: DANVISE OUT!!!!!! I got a new Vise today

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenuftoys View Post
I have the poor man's Mongoose - Griffin Odyssey Spider. I really like it! Holds small hooks wonderfully, but make sure you screw tight on the bigger hooks.
my buddy has the same vise told me if I want a cheaper range rotary vise to get that one hands down! I haven't splurged or so as I call it cause I am cheap... lol. I still just use my basic $20 dollar non-rotary vise and I can still tie flies with it and it gets the job done for me. when that gives I will get me the odyssey prolly tho.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Last edited by GeorgeMcFly; 03-12-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: DANVISE Out, New Vise IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallieman View Post
( purchased the extension arm for it if you need it let me know I will sell it for $10 bucks )
Would that extension be the jaws? I just picked up a used Danvise for my FF clubs raffle and see that the jaws are chipped pretty badly. If what you are selling are jaws, I'll take 'em!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DANVISE Out, New Vise IN

Smallie,

Forgotten in all this vise comparison is the relative price. Peak is about double Danvise's price. Enough said!