The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default DANVISE Out, New Vise IN

I purchased the Danvise because of the price point, reviews, and how it worked. I did some research and I purchased it.

Why it sucks and I returned it...
-Made of plastic
-Jaws are too close to the body. ( purchased the extension arm for it if you need it let me know I will sell it for $10 bucks )
-Jaws were not holding size 14 or smaller hooks tight
- Rotary Part was not smooth and got worse.

Maybe I got a crappy one but I contacted the company and that was a joke.. They did not care.

Well so I took it back to Cabelas and talked to a few guys their and upgraded to the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose Fly Vise. It did not have Cam Lock Jaws but they sell an add on for that if I need it.

Click the image to open in full size.

What are your thoughts on this new vise. I tied 3 flies at cabelas with it and works nice feels nice. I will post some photos of my first flies on it later

Last edited by smallieman; 02-24-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: TITLE CHANGE
Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default re: DANVISE Out, New Vise IN

Sorry to hear about your bad experience--- but IMHO, you ought to change the title of your thread.

I know a handful of people who use danvises and have had no probs. Just because of a bad experience, I don't think it is fair to completely blast them on a public forum.....

I do agree, though, that if you called the co. and got shrugged-- that's not very good-- speaks to their customer care (or lack there-of)....

Again, sorry to hear it, but good on you for the new vise-- hope it works out better for you.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:23 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad experience--- but IMHO, you ought to change the title of your thread.

I know a handful of people who use danvises and have had no probs. Just because of a bad experience, I don't think it is fair to completely blast them on a public forum.....

I do agree, though, that if you called the co. and got shrugged-- that's not very good-- speaks to their customer care (or lack there-of)....

Again, sorry to hear it, but good on you for the new vise-- hope it works out better for you.
Yes Raindog, you are correct there are some people on this forum that have a Danvise and they are happy with them. I am one of those people. His thread title really didnt bother me but I see your point. I may upgrade to a different vise myself one day but Danvise has served me well so far....
Smallie
That new vise is kinda neat though but I'd bet it was more money than your Danvise as well.
Best Regards, Boser
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Well I looked at the danvise.....and personally went with the Peak Vise with the Griffin parachute arm.....never been happier.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts? Drive back to Cabelas and buy a Peak. Mine has been rock
solid for 3 years, and has cured me of vise envy. I owned a Griffin 2A,
and had considered buying a Griffin Patriot, but I went with the Peak. Call
Peak and you'll discover some really caring people. I called them to tell them
how much I loved my vise, and they asked if there was anything I thought
needed improvement!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 PM

dennis is on a distinguished road

Checked out the Danvise, didn,t like the plastic. Read revues for the Peak, best rotory vise in the $150 range. I am very happy with mine.

Dennis
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: DANVISE OUT!!!!!! I got a new Vise today

I have the poor man's Mongoose - Griffin Odyssey Spider. I really like it! Holds small hooks wonderfully, but make sure you screw tight on the bigger hooks.
MAD777 likes this.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Griffin jaws hold hooks "like a pit bull", as they say. The idea is to set
both screws so that the jaw halves are just a wee wider than the hook, but
parallel. Once that's done, it only takes a small turn of the larger knob to
really grab the hook. If you leave the back end of the jaw open much larger
than the width of the hook's diameter, less of the front jaw surface contacts
the hook. Keeping the two ends parallel grips more of the hook, and it won't
be going anywhere.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 AM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: DANVISE 0ut!!!!!! I got a new Vise today

Sorry for the Blast I was just PO this morning.. I got the Griffin mongoose set up and ready to tie.. I did love my danvise but just left a bad taste in my mouth. I am sure many of you like them. I checked it out again and the store do I exchange it for the same or upgrade for 40 bucks more. For me... I live far from Cabelas and really don't want to keep exchanging it. When all their models are made of steel and metal and then i see the Danvise on display. I just had to change to the other vise.

For all you Danvise owners I have the extension arm in the classified section
Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm one that's used one with great success for ten years, but this is the second report of crappiness of their product I've heard this week. A guy I know had the jaw on his **** out and it sent a piece of metal flying at his eye. That absolutely sucks.

I'm officially withholding my DanVise endorsements for now. (and likely tying with glasses on)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.