The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 06:31 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rite-Bobbin Magnum Half-Hitch Tool

Has anyone used this tool yet? If so, how do you like it? I'm tempted to buy, yet I need to see a little more feedback. One thing that concerns me is that the bobbin barrel is metal and all of my previous all metal bobbins wore a groove in them which eventually began cutting and fraying thread. Here is the YouTube vid of how it works:

I own a regular Rite-Bobbin and love it for most tying applications. This new one looks like it could shorten the tying process when finishing the fly.

Kelly.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rite-Bobbin Magnum Half-Hitch Tool

there was a thread on thi sabout as month or 6 weeks back- some had tried and liked it. Supposedly, the tube is some 'space age material' that doesn't wear down, I dunno personally. There was also talk about an Italian bobbin (Stonfo?) that has a drag adjustment that's supposed to be smooth operating, but it has a ceramic tube.

I guess the half hitch capability of the Rite Magnum is somewhat appealing, but I can cast a half hitch pretty easy over thetip of my scissors, so no big draw for me.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rite-Bobbin Magnum Half-Hitch Tool

May have to try one of those. Like you I like my regular Rite bobbin. In fact I keep my 6/0 black on it.