The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tiger Musky Flies

This summer/fall I'm going to begin fishing for them in a fairly small lake that is just a bit north of me. These are the first four that I have tied up, The bottom left and top right are two of my own pattern sort of with Congo Hair, Palmered Marabou, and a congo hair dubbing brush with some flash laid underneath, and mylar pushed over the front of the dubbing brush. The top Left sort of the same minus the marabou but it is just the tail section and dubbing brush head without the mylar, also congo hair. The bottom right is a standard Over Under style fly.

They are all tied on 1/0 bass worm hooks, except the bottom left which is a 3/0. I used the worm hooks because Last weekend I used a fly tied on one and it gave it a neat little wobble to it. Anyway, here they are. Any more good color suggestions and pattern Ideas. Think these will fish?

Here they are:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tiger Musky Flies

They look killer. They should work just fine
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I think they'll work for you...I really like the one in the upper left corner; I think I would add some vertical black bars to the sides with a magic marker...Hope you post lots of pics and reports for us...

Dan
Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Guys! I like that one as well Dan, I'm going to add some stripes on it and tie a few more of them up. I'll definitey post up some reports but they might not be until fall because I do not want to kill a fish just because the water is too warm.

Another one I tied is sort of like the over under one but out the back it tied the spinner from an old small beetle spin and ran it through some mylar tubing back into the fly. I'll try and post another picture soon, though I don't know ho well it will cast.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Just fine, however, I've tried hooks made for soft plastics like you mentioned and have had the hook tips bend over on a hook set. The mouth of a musky and pike are very hard. Since the lower jaw has very little tissue on it other then bone, hooking their can damage a hook easily. Though, a 1/0 should work just fine. For myself, I don't use that kind of hook anymore and stick with larger 3/0-5/0 hooks. I do like what you did on the fly on the lower left. It reminds me of this fly; A good musky fly... - Thorne Bros.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 PM

Thanks esox, I've got some others going and will tie up a a bit of everything. I'll keep that hook thing in mind. I'm in the market for some for otherstuff, so I will probably just put in a big order somewhere.

And great link BTW!