The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone tie made up "Scraps" flies?

So I was tying a couple of bass wet bugs tonight and I noticed I had scraps everywhere. Not long enough pieces of estaz or sili legs etc to tie any more of the current pattern, so I just tied them on in a funky way and grabbed a couple of marabou feathers, some bead chain eyes, a bit of a barred zonker and made something I've never seen before, but definitely looks buggy/fishy/froggy enough to catch fish.

So, have any of you come up with creations because of a "waste not, want not" attitude?

Last edited by maccadon3000; 04-19-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:59 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone tie made up "Scraps" flies?

Not sure I have done a waste not want not fly, but I have sat down a few times to tie, got bored with the current pattern, and threw together some flies from stuff I had on the desk. Last one was a kind of a black wiggle tail nymph with red flashabou lateral lines, a herl body, and a little blue crystal flash in the maribou tail. looks cool in the water, and I suspect it will catch fish, maybe, maybe not......

d
Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

yeah, I think we've ALL wasted time like this before =)

I have a coil of wire that sits on a peg near my table- 3' sections of the wire from busted Xmas lights that I strip and use for ribbing... I have a "J-hook" screwed into the front of my table and every now and then when I have some scraps sitting around, I'll take a length of wire, form a loop around the J-hook, wax the wire, and stuff clipped scraps of deer hair, marabou, pheasant tail leavings, etc into it and twist it up into a makeshift dubbing brush.

I set these aside and every now and then, will twist one onto a long hook for some form of Ugly Bugger. Ahnd no, I've never caught anything on one, but I always carry one around for "Desperation Days" - when the rain comes unexpectedly and muddys the water... nothing like a good 'chuck and duck' of a big bead eyed bugger into the water before you walk away.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Maccadon

Almost every fly I make has something that was lying on the bench tied into it. I use almost every scrap that is representative of good materials. Much of the fly tying that goes on here involves size 1.5 - 6 salmon hooks so many of the leftovers are just fine for use on a number 10 hook. I have been working at filling a box with small streamer flies and almost all of the contents thus far are tied from the leftover tinsels, floss, silk, and feathers from the bigger flies. Whether this will benefit you, only you will know but when I clean my tying bench I bag all the usable scraps. When the need for something that I remember going into a bag arises I know where to look. I adapted this habit because when I run out of something I have two choices, drive to Anchorage (104 mile round trip) or mail order more.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Not 100% on topic, but here is a friend of mines website:
Trashflies
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I do it all the time. Some of it is even planned ahead. Like big fly fiber is longer than I like for the Dahlberg Mega Divers I tie with it. Longer by about a big clousers worth. The big end of hackle has the best part for tails so I don't toss them out. It has to be pretty small before I call it trash.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a tray section in my fly tying kit that collects the pieces of maribou, herl, feathers, flashabou, etc. I also have a trash can right by my tying desk, most anything usable goes in the tray, and like I said earlier, when I get bored, I look at that stuff and say what can I tie with this stuff. I also have a little plastic tray on my desk that old or mangled flies go in, a razor knife and the hooks are reusable, any usable materials go in the tray section, I have a piece of bucktail that has been on at least 3 files at this point, wonder how many more it will adorn. I should probably throw it away as it keeps ending up in the recycle tray.....

d
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 AM

tanglefoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccadon3000 View Post
So I was tying a couple of bass wet bugs tonight and I noticed I had scraps everywhere. Not long enough pieces of estaz or sili legs etc to tie any more of the current pattern, so I just tied them on in a funky way and grabbed a couple of marabou feathers, some bead chain eyes, a bit of a barred zonker and made something I've never seen before, but definitely looks buggy/fishy/froggy enough to catch fish.

So, have any of you come up with creations because of a "waste not, want not" attitude?
>>>>I quite often use up scraps to "invent" a different look - but then I am a Newbie just learning to tie and do not yet have the skills to make "perfect" copies of published patterns..... When these Manitoba spring floods subside I will take some of these creations our to walleye and trout waters and see what happens...
But then how do you tell if you have created a killer pattern or just found a school of hungry fish???
Jim

Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I had a guide friend a couple years back that would do it. He kept an old empty oil can on his tying bench that he put all his scraps and trimmings in. When the can got full he would empty it out and tie up a bunch of flies. He called them his oil can specials!! No two alike!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I store my materials in plastic page/photo/buisness card protector pages. I now have three full page size bags of (leftovers). Lots of marabou, neck feathers, snips and snails. Also a box of flys I tied back when that don't make the grade anymore. I dip into these all the time.
I also have a "gallery of failures" that are hooked to the shelf at eye level as a reminder. Most are near-completed flys that I boke in the vise.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey