The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: experimenting with bass poppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. (I am a woman though, not a man...lol...) I got the Pearl Web idea from a guy who makes a ton of poppers, and most of the tails I saw on his poppers were made from Pearl Web. I like marabou too, and sometimes feathers. I just got the Pearl Web, so I was experimenting with it.
Terribly sorry about that, I should have known better. I would go ahead and use some of that pearl stuff, as it looks like it might have a frog like motion of straightening out when you strip, and then curling back up at rest. Having such a large curly wad of it could actually reduce the motion though. Putting some of that pearl web surrounding a marabou tail might be ideal.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Kelkay, not bad for a woman...Just kidding...LOL Very nice looking bugs, great paint job. Hooks could be a tiny bit bigger; but overall, very nice...

Dan
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Cork stopper? You use cork instead of foam? These foam pieces were given to me by someone who does their own foam popper bodies with a Dremel. However they are not uniform size. Thanks for the hint on the hook.
Actually I use foam more often, but I have so many corks that I bought the hooks to match the cork
For foam I use lobster buoys that you find washed up on the beach after a storm
You cut them into slices with a saw and then punch out cylinders with a sharpened piece of copper pipe

.... like this
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

neat, I don't live near the ocean though