The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 06:24 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default experimenting with bass poppers

This is something I have been working on lately. They are very time consuming though to make. I need to find a longer and wider gap hook for the sliders though, or trim the foam more. I hope you like them.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: experimenting with bass poppers

very nice indeed, and I agree you need a longer hook. how about the mustad 37187 stinger hook. Did you air brush them or just brush paint ?
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I just painted them with a brush for the bottom coat. I don't have an airbrush. Then I used drill bits for the other work, and a little with a paint brush too. I have not heard of the hook you mentioned. I will have to check into that, thanks.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

They look great. Are the legs more downward than to the sides?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM

The legs are low intentionally. They are all about the same level. That way if I did not get them even, it won't be seen as easily from the side.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

nice job, the bass wont know what hit them this spring! what did you use to coat over the paint? i either use epoxy or jig head gloss.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Really sharp looking stuff there man, though I think I'd go with something a bit more limp/thin for the tails.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
nice job, the bass wont know what hit them this spring! what did you use to coat over the paint? i either use epoxy or jig head gloss.
I used interior/exterior varnish for the clear coating. It works good, but I put it on a fly dryer to try to get an even finish on it.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Really sharp looking stuff there man, though I think I'd go with something a bit more limp/thin for the tails.
Thanks for your thoughts. (I am a woman though, not a man...lol...) I got the Pearl Web idea from a guy who makes a ton of poppers, and most of the tails I saw on his poppers were made from Pearl Web. I like marabou too, and sometimes feathers. I just got the Pearl Web, so I was experimenting with it.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I need to find a longer and wider gap hook
I use the Mustad 33903 kink shanked hook
A size 2 hook goes well with size 3 cork stopper (of which I have hundreds if anyone wants some )
The kinked hooks are cheaper than other fly hooks too
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 AM

Cork stopper? You use cork instead of foam? These foam pieces were given to me by someone who does their own foam popper bodies with a Dremel. However they are not uniform size. Thanks for the hint on the hook.