The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:28 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default snapping thread

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with my thread, it keeps breaking! It first happened and I changed the spool to use a different thread. It snapped again and I figured I had a bur on my bobbin(all metal.) I felt around the mouths and didn't feel anything so I thought that the bur must be in the tube. I ordered a ceramic bobbin which I received today. Tried to ty a fly and the thread broke again. Then I thought maybe there was a bur on the hook. Got a new hook and no dice, it snapped. Tried a different thread (again) with the same results. I also tried to bend out the holders on the bobbin so there wasn't as much pressure and it didn't help.

Any clue as to what could be causing this?

Ant
Old 03-01-2010, 02:51 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: snapping thread

Lots of variables at play, here..... So hard to say--

but are you snapping after a dozen or so wraps on the hook shank? If so, your thread is probably twisted and that could be causing the snap-age.... (presuming you are using a flat profile type thread....) I'dd let the bobbin hang and 'uncoil' itself after 10 or so wraps.

Also, are you working near the hook bend? you could simply be nicking the thread on the hook point...

another option is--you could just be pulling waayyyy too hard...

(I don't want to sound condescending-- I just don't know your experience level, what kind of thread you are using-- denier ratings, etc.... What I do know is that you have eliminated the obvious possibilities... (bobbin nicked...))

Someone else will chime in and probably have a better answer....
Old 03-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, there's no better answers...
You pull too hard, it brakes. That's usually my problem

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-01-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: I sucj at spellin
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys.

I'd say it happens at about a dozen of so wraps, but this is usually mid-hook and I was watching to make sure I wasn't catching the point.

The thread was also untwisted a bit(as opposed to twisted like a rope.) I'm wondering if it was too untwisted and I was using to much of my Herculean strength() and caused it to snap.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I agree with Raindogt too. One more possible variable that was happening to my tying guru one day; old thread (but I think it was real old).
Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

They have covered all of the potential problems I think.
What weight thread are you using?
When I use 8/0 or lighter I tend to pull the bobbin back and expose a few inches of thread, then wrap it so it is not feeding off the spool while you wind the thread. So pull, then wrap then pull then wrap. That way you can control your pulling weight easily, if you just let it feed off the spool as you wrap it is almost impossible to control the amount of "pull" you exert on the thread.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

When I have this problem it's usually because I'm nicking the hook point. What makes it worse is that I"m typically tying tiny flies (# 18-28) using very light thread. I've solved my problem by locking the hook in the vise so that the hook point is barely covered. I know that this is not proper hook mounting position, but it seems that on the tiny hooks I use, doing so doesn't strain the hook nor appreciably interfere with tying the tail end of the fly.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

I've got some gray 70 denier thread that seems to be weaker than my other 70's... I think sometimes spools are subject to defect much like anything else we buy. If this is a continuing problem, I would say that it might be the force used while tying (70 denier, IIRC has 1# strength) maybe you should just put the guns away and quit flexing while tying.

- Justin
Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Ant, what patterns are you tying and what thread are you using?

It sounds like you've eliminated a lot of the variables by changing the bobbin, adjusting the arms of the bobbin to give less tension and changing spools of thread.

It may be that the thread you're using for the type of fly you're tying is too light. Some patterns may require lots of thread torque to spin materials (deer hair bugs for example) or a lot of tension to bind material to the hook securely (large bucktail streamers, eyes on clousers etc).

Oh, and BTW, thanks for forwarding Kerry's flies

mark
Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Oh, and BTW, thanks for forwarding Kerry's flies
Not a problem. Mine should be on there way soon.

ONe spool of thread was 70 and the other was 140. I just started tying a comparadun and I lightened my pressure, slowed down, and tried to angle the bobbin so that the thread was coming off of it straight as much as possible. So far it's working ok, so one of the three might have fixed it.

Thanks for all the help everyone!