The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Pick Your Brain About Poppers

I was just wondering what everyone used to make their own poppers? I have seen a couple different ideas around this forum but I wanted to get them all in one place. Any good cheap craft store ideas? Don't be shy.
Thanks, Cabot
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pick Your Brain About Poppers

You can make poppers out of the cheap flip flops at the hobby stores. I use the acrylic paints from there as well. You can either epoxy, use Sally's Hard As Nails, or exterior/interior varnish from Ceramcoat. I would put weed guards on your poppers. (legs are of course optional...but I prefer to have them on mine)
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Be inventive... I use the foam backer rods they use around new windows to fill the gap. I got an MRI the other day and the little foam ear plugs they gave me had a nice multi-color stripe in them. When I was done with the test I asked the tech if I could have a half dozen; I walked out of there with a pocketfull...Both of these items are somewhat soft, so they are durable once you attach them to your hook.

Dan
Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

i use corks(from the craft store) and deer hair. fish usually hold onto the deer hair ones longer, but i havent had much of a problem missing fish on cork ones. oh, and balsa wood works really well if you give a it a good coating.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said in the other thread, I use mostly foam from lobster buoys (free) and cork test tube stoppers (also free), but the next batch will be made from the plastic wine stoppers. They're a good size for the salt.
I paint the corks with a primer of epoxy, and then two coats of acrylic model paint but I never paint my foam poppers, not even eyes. The fish can only see the belly color so the effort you put into decoration is only for yourself. I will epoxy coat the foam sometimes though, but it's hardly worth the effort.
I got started in poppers 20+ years ago when I discovered how much fun spinning deer hair was, but I rarely use the hair bugs now. A foam "Sneaky Pete" type slider is my 'go-to' bass fly
If I was to choose one style of popper, it would have to be the Gartside Gurgler.
IMO it's the most effective topwater and the easiest to tie.
Tying the Gurgler
Old 03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
but the next batch will be made from the plastic wine stoppers.
You mean the synthetic corks, right? I'll be curious to hear how that works out, I've been wondering about those for a while. They seem a little heavy, so doing an angle cut and building them like the Clouser EZ popper is the route I'd likely take.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah there'll be some trimming involved, angled front and rear
kinda like this
____
/___/

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
.. I use the foam backer rods they use around new windows to fill the gap.
A friend uses that foam covered with shrink tubing to make some great pencil poppers about 6" long. He melts a hole down the middle for a leader and ties the tail on a trailer hook just like on a tube fly.
With a jerky retrieve the popper swings back and forth like a lure used to "walk the dog"
Drives the striped bass nutz
On the down side, it takes a 10wt to toss 'em
Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

A while back Fly Tyer magazine had a good article on making popper bodies by gluing sheets of craftfoam together with contact cement, then punching out cylindrical bodies with hole punches made of different diameters of sharpened pipe or metal tubing. You can make a lot of good color combinations from a single package of foam from the dollar store.
The only problem I've not been able to solve is how to hold the foam on a shaft so i can turn, sand and taper the bodies. I've tried screws, forks and they don't hold well enough.