The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default So whats with all these Beads..

So what the deal with all these beads I see.

There are Glass,copper, Tungsten.

I want to know if I am wasting my money in Tungsten beads. Glass beads seem so much cheaper.

I am tying Bead head Streamers any Ideas
Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM

luked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura aboutluked has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: So whats with all these Beads..

Tungsten is a lot heavier than the same size in brass or glass due to it being more dense not really any huge diffrence other than that and price.
i primarily use brass as long as i can find them due to price really...nothing wrong with the Tungstens but they are pricy and you get less but thats the way a lot of things are going with lead,tungsten brass and so on
Old 03-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I mainly use small copper beads 2,8 or 3mm because I fish on sight and heavy beads are really unpleasant to cast,I sometimes use tungsten beads in very small sizes.As for glass or plastic beads I use them as teasers and not to add weight.Hope it can help a little
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Brass beads here too. On streamers I use cone heads. On both I'll do a few wraps of lead wire behind the bead to center/secure/weight it. Hard to spend twice as much for tungsten, but it would be nice I guess.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallieman View Post
So what the deal with all these beads I see.

There are Glass,copper, Tungsten.
Glass - More or less decorative. But there are some great glass bead body caddis larvae flies that are very effective.

Copper - You are referring to brass beads. These are good all around beads that help add weight and some looks to a fly.

Tungsten - Yes it is costly, but it adds additional weight to get the fly down the water column. In some areas, weight added to leader (split shot) is illegal. A tungsten beaded fly would be necessary to get down into the water column.

Quote:
I want to know if I am wasting my money in Tungsten beads. Glass beads seem so much cheaper.
If you feel that you need tungsten to get your fly down faster, use it. Glass won't help you in that situation.

Quote:
I am tying Bead head Streamers any Ideas
Use glass for more of a decorative bead.

Use brass for additional weight.

Use tungsten if you need to have your streamer drop faster down the water column.

MP
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

You guys are so helpful thanks