The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM

catfish is on a distinguished road
Default sharpie or no sharpie

i've only been tying flys for a couple months
and i was wondering if it is ok to use sharpies (permanent markers)
on foam flys or to change the color of the thread for heads
i've seen some people use markers but not sharpies
is there a reason for not using sharpies
Old 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: sharpie or no sharpie

Hi Catfish,

There are a bunch of different markers you can use. Just make sure they are permanent or water proof. That way they won't fade from the water.

The Prismacolor Double Ended Markers are very good. They give you a wide tip and a very thin tip with wonderful colors.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:48 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I use the sharpies all the time, they have some new colors out that go really good with tying.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I use the sharpies all the time, they have some new colors out that go really good with tying.
Yah, what he said. I like 'em. use them on clousers and stuff all the time.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Miracle nymph... sharpie works great

- Justin
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sharpies work fine, but tend to have a smell. Given a choice of another permanent waterproof marker with less odor, I'd pick the other.

But as a concept, heck yes they're valid.

Here's a take from the evil genius behind Singlebarbed

Quote:
After upgrading my vest a couple of years ago I still have more empty pockets than full and my feeble attempts to achieve unnecessary life threatening bulk have fallen far short of the industry standard - one of a legion of shortcomings.

Fly fishing has countless taboo’s and minor demons, accidentally trodding upon the grave can be overlooked, but violating the unspeakable sins warrants banishment and shunning …

As unkempt appearance and questionable hygiene draws me ever closer to that event horizon, a pocketful of permanent markers shouldn’t damage my stature much - even if the rest of the brethren start with the pitchforks and torches.

Considering all the glitter and effluvia I’m throwing around the living room while tying shad flies, and with the question of this season’s “must have” color not yet established, why wouldn’t the agile angler tie everything in white - then crack out the felt pens as needed?

There … I’ve said it.

Chemical based fly tying is long overdue. We’ve allowed dyed materials only because we kilt all the natural colored wild stuff, and with countless colors available, including bleaches and tie-dye effects, why wouldn’t we unleash some technology at this last bastion of the recalcitrant?

Fly shops have a longstanding cartel on patterns and variants, relying on our voodoo-luck based superstition to ensure they sell both Hendrickson’s and Dark Cahill’s, despite an Adam’s laying considerable smack on both those aged tarts.

Shad flies are horribly simple, tail, beadchain, and something that connects the two - a handful of fluorescent markers could be exactly what’s needed.

If the “hot” fly is orange, an interior pocket stuffed with Sharpies produces a fix to the glaring vacancy in your arsenal, and if purple - simply color over the orange flies used earlier. As long as your progression went from light to dark you could color over the flies multiple times like unwanted tattoos.

As there’s only about four possibilities each year; pink, orange, green, and shiny, 75% of the fishermen would benefit, leaving only the fellows that guessed right to get pissed.

Burn up last season’s aging colors by restoring the lost art of “tagging” - defacing bridge abutments, parked cars, and sleeping anglers. It’d be refreshing to trod under the highway bridge and glance up to see something other than misspelled bile.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.