The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 04:35 PM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road
Default fly tying newbe

I want to get into flytying. Somebody gave me one of those starter kit's (it's
a cheap one).What will i need to get started the right way. Kits has some yarn, hooks, I think a primative vise.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: fly tying newbe

Have you got any 'tools' ? ie-- bobbin, scissors, etc... ? If not, you will need some tools. If you already have tools, then get tying....

Tying materials needed will be contingent upon what you are tying.... Find the recipes for a number of patterns that work in your area, and list all of the materials (many will cross patterns) for those patterns.

1. Buy the materials from the list.

2. Buy your favorite beer.

3. Go home and have fun.

that's all I have for you. With regards to the vise, try tying out for a while and if you enjoy it (I'm sure you will....), then you can look into a better vise-- and you will have a better idea of what 'features' you might need/ appreciate in a vise. I personally use an old thompson 'a' style vise (non-rotary, simple, and no bells and whistles)-- I love it- simple and effective.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I would highly recommend you get a copy of Charlie Craven's book, Basic Fly Tying. It is the best book I have come across, it starts out with a simple brassie and progressively works up to harder ties. It discusses the differences in threads, feathers etc. It will be the best $30 dollars you can spend on fly tying.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books
After you have mastered all of the flies in his book, jump on his web site he has the detailed instructions to tie over 150 flies.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions when you get stumped. We have some awesome fly tiers on this forum that are more than willing to help you learn.

Larry
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I would highly recommend you get a copy of Charlie Craven's book, Basic Fly Tying. It is the best book I have come across, it starts out with a simple brassie and progressively works up to harder ties. It discusses the differences in threads, feathers etc. It will be the best $30 dollars you can spend on fly tying.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books
After you have mastered all of the flies in his book, jump on his web site he has the detailed instructions to tie over 150 flies.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions when you get stumped. We have some awesome fly tiers on this forum that are more than willing to help you learn.

Larry
......a good book that goes step by step....and shows some of the " tricks" that make things easier plus you always have us !!!!!!we love to share ideas !
Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I was given a fly tying set in a wooden box about 4 years ago, I still use it and the tools, I did upgrade the scissors last year and buy a new whip finish tool, but still have the old simple, non-rotary, pedastal vice. Everything still works and I have tied a ton of flies on it. No need to upgrade until you figure out if you like tying, and find yourself limited by your equipment.

d
Old 03-06-2010, 01:28 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Add another for Charlie Craven's book... I'm working through it right now and the amount of detail that he puts into the description is well worth it. I'm working from the first pattern to the last and as I get to a new pattern, I list out the recipe and then search my inventory and make a list for what I need to buy. I highly recommend doing as he suggests and tying 12 flies at a time... it's helped me to remember what I've done right and what I'm doing wrong... Good luck, it's an addiction all it's own.

- Justin
Old 03-06-2010, 09:16 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I have two tying books both I really like but when I am trying something new at the vise I like to be able to see how it is done first. Anglers Net has some high quality videos that you can see how things are done. Their tying 101 section has a lot of good information for beginners (I know because I am one...)
Anglers Net - Fly Tying Videos

Youtube is also a very good source for instructions and ideas.

Cabot
Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Some great advice above. +1 for CCravens book that Larry recommended, and +1 for buying materials from recipes that raindogt recommended. Before you know it you have material for many flies. Amazing how many flies you can tie with a pheasant tail feather; peacock herl; hares mask; copper wire.

Hey, that "Anglers Net" is neat. Thanks.

Last edited by Jimmie; 03-06-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: thanks for the link
Old 03-06-2010, 12:23 PM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responce. I'll hit the local fly shop this week. the kit came with no tools.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add a rooster neck or some feathers if you want to tie driesblack and olive threads...maybe some cdc ....for emergers.