The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default what flash material?

going to be spending some time at the vise here the next few weeks to get some patterns down and some more flies in my arsenal...wanting to do some flashbacks like hares ear and so on...what do you use for the flashback wingcase? just normal flashabou?
gettin ready to put an order in here in a day or so for some more tying stuff diffrent colors hares ear and pheasant tails and so on and want to get something for the flashback
Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Re: what flash material?

crystal flash or flashaboo. pink, perl, silver, gold or teal green
Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For flashback nymphs, you'd be better off with a spool of flat mylar tinsel.

Click the image to open in full size.

It'll give you the width of multiple strands of flashabou, and make tying them in go faster.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use wide Christmas tree tinsel
Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

OK thanks for the info fellas...what colors would you suggest for some nymphs?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

riptide hit it on the nose, pearl.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Luked: You have received great advice from the others, I also use those materials. To change things up a bit, I occasionally with use Thin Skin cut in thin strips, then once tied in I coat it with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails.

Larry
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
OK thanks for the info fellas...what colors would you suggest for some nymphs?
+1 for pearl if I could only choose one.
Last time we tied flashbacks we had hot pink, and blue available. I liked both.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I picked up some of this stuff the other day and it is awesome, Singlebarbed is a genius. So much cheaper especially if you wait for weekend coupons.
Sulky Holoshimmer, holographic tinsel by another name | Singlebarbed
P.S. I also use Christmas tree tinsel like rip tide, cheap and effective.
Cabot
Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I use a peacock green flashabou or pearl flashabou. never tried using krystal flash but thats a great idea. will try that for sure! here is some pick of peacock green pheasent tails and copper johns. I like it cause the irredesence it gives off.
Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.