The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default problem with hair and synthetic materials.

ok so i have found a new liking for tying clousers and EP minnows with Congo hair and buck tails. for some reason when ever i get the materials anchored down they will tend to slip side to side and back and forth. is there some technique that i never picked up for this. i am using 6/0 thread waxed and un waxed and a verity of hooks and dont see much of a difference with different hooks. I also have not been putting alot of material on at once hoping that would help but it hasn't. any ideas on why this is happening? is it to much pressure, wrong thread, wrong hook, still to much materials?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Austin
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: problem with hair and synthetic materials.

Try laying a thread base forst, then when you wrap the materials do a pinch wrap. (bring threat uptrough the thumb and fore finger on the hand holding material) do 2 of these loosly, then while still holding material pull straight down on thread. it will pinch material down. Then while still holding material in place do some standard wraps in front of the pinch wraps to secure material. This should fix the problem. you can add some cement to futher bind them down too.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
Try laying a thread base forst, then when you wrap the materials do a pinch wrap. (bring threat uptrough the thumb and fore finger on the hand holding material) do 2 of these loosly, then while still holding material pull straight down on thread. it will pinch material down. Then while still holding material in place do some standard wraps in front of the pinch wraps to secure material. This should fix the problem. you can add some cement to futher bind them down too.
i do the thread base and i have tried wrapping the base tighter and thinker because i cant tell if it is the thread moving on the hook or if in is the material moving on the thread. i will try the pinching idea. i don't know why i didnt think of that before. thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Just wrapping without the pinch method just rolls the material around the shank as you tightin the thread
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
Just wrapping without the pinch method just rolls the material around the shank as you tightin the thread
ok well good tip thanks for the help i will give it a shot this week and see how it goes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For synthetics, the surest way to make sure the material doesn't slip is to fold it over the thread and tie it that way. Its extremely helpful on slick materials like flash, but would likely help with that congo hair as well.

Thin superglue is another big help. The thinner the better, as it penetrates more deeply.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

^I agree with BigCliff. When we tied some Clousers a few months ago our lead had us using superglue on the thread base then tie. In fact we weren't even using the waterproof stuff.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The other possibility is you could be trying to use too much material at once...Clousers should be tied fairly sparse...

Dan
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 AM

i have cut down alot on material on both the clousers and the EP minnow but the congo hair just will not seem to stay put.