The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Searching; Attractor; Etc Patterns

What makes a fly a searching pattern? an attractor pattern?
I just did some research and when some have a "dry searching" catagory for example they just list all the standard dry flies. Bottom line is those terms have always confused me. It's because I don't know what flies go in those catagories. Is there an easy answer?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Searching; Attractor; Etc Patterns

They normaly dont Imatate any thing in paticular, and have some flash or bright colour and over excentuated feature(s), and will produce fish

Chris
Old 03-09-2010, 05:34 AM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

Attractors were also referred to as fancy dries I believe....ie: Royal Coachman, etc. They are kind of a general impression of a mayfly often with flashy characteristics without actually imitating any specific hatch.....vs. say a blue winged olive dryfly which imitates that specific hatch. I once read a description of why the Parachute adams was such a good fly....it looks like it could be anything but imitates nothing in particular. However in my experience its a crossover fly....it can be imitative. In smaller sizes it can imitate some blue winged olives - which don't always have truly olive bodies....in larger sizes here in NY - you can use it to imitate Isonychias.....yet it remains a great "attractor" pattern when you just want to blind fish.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

To me a search and an attractor is about the same thing. if I had to break it down though
Search- Hares ear parachute or some other fly that isnt a pin point match to one bug but kinda imitates severel
Attractor- red humpy, stimulator, flys that have some color to them
Bear
Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks a lot Chris; Walter; Bear. Those were great explanations. I think I'm starting to get it.