The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough
Default What fly tying books and/or dvds would you recommend?

Im wanting to learn a little more about the art of fly tying. In East-Central Illinois there are no fly shops in driving distance, so there are no fly tying clinics or classes. Books and dvds are my only teachers. Any one have any recommended books & dvds? Thanks.

Kevin

"In the school of the outdoors there never is a graduation day" - Jim Casada
Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: What fly tying books and/or dvds would you recommend?

The book "Basic Fly Tying" by Charlie Craven. I didn't see it on his website Charlie's Flybox, but a Google showed that it is being sold at Target. The book has great recommendations for tools and materials as well as awesome step by step tutorials.
I'd start with the book. You can get a video for almost any fly by Googling "How to tie a .........." then select the video choice. Most videos are very good.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Jimmy recommended, it is the best book for trout fly tying that I have read. You can also get it on Amazon Books.

Larry

Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Leeson and Schollmeyer is the one I have. It has split pages. On top shows the steps to make the flies, on bottom shows how to do each step.

Also, what town in IL? I am in the suburbs of Chicago. If you would like to meet up and fish, let me know!

-Forrest
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

+1 for Charlie Craven book also Peter Gathercole is worth a look. Then on youTube search for Davie McPhail, Dakota Angler, Cornmuse, TheDaveDowney, topFlyMan, Trout Predator Online, or just fly tying. Same for Google, lots of information available.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

I have the Leeson and Schollmeyer book and always thought it was the bee's knees. However, I recently perused the Craven book and decided I like it better. It was very well put together, and had more patterns that I would use than Leeson and Schollenmeyer.

You might also check out the "Beginner's Fly Tying" section at Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I learned a whole lot from You Tube videos. I also liked Fly Fish Ohio.
FlyTying: The Angler's Art on OMN

Here is a place that has a bunch of awesome videos too. There are several seasons worth of shows.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: What fly tying books and/or dvds would you recommend?

I've got a lot of "beginner" and not-so-beginner fly-tying books, and I'd have to say the best two books for beginners IMHO are the Leeson & Schollmeyer and the Charlie Craven books. They are not redundant.

The Craven book is beautifully illustrated and the fly recipes are very detailed and easy to understand, and he discusses tool and material selection in depth. However, his book uses the approach of starting with an easy fly and then building on the skills you used in that fly to progress to more complicated flies using additional techniques, so the fly selection is inherently limited.

The Leeson & Schollmeyer book, on the other hand, is more of an encyclopedia of fly-tying (make sure you get the "beginner" book and not their definitive encyclopedia of fly-tying techniques, which does not have the horizontally-split pages). The unique split page design of this spiral-bound (an advantage the Craven book doesn't have) book means that you can have the fly-tying recipe on the top page and whatever page you need on the bottom for how to perform the particular tying technique at that stage in tying that fly.

As I said, both books are excellent and complementary to each other.