The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 01:57 AM

drnihili is on a distinguished road
Default Wooly Bugger vs Wooly Worm

What's the difference? The book I'm using, The Art of Fly Tying has the Bugger with a Marabou tail and the Worm with hackle. I cheated and substituted some Krystal Flash (I think that's what it is) for the hackle.

Is there a standard understood difference? I had used the terms interchangeably before this and tied whatever tail seemed handy at the time. Now I'm wondering. How many woolies are there?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:17 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Wooly Bugger vs Wooly Worm

thats the only difference but wooly bugger is way better in my opinion but then again never used the worm much. Buggers can be stripped like a streamer pattern, and the marabou breaths and pulsates in the water. can also be dead drifted under a indicator and so forth and represent alot of stuff that lives underwater. white buggers can be a minnow, black a leech or hellegramite, brown a crayfish and olive works good too if its a fish or craw I don't know but it does work. wooley bugger are the all around versatile fly. heres a pic of my fav bugger! its black beadhead, black "woolybugger" chenille, black marabou tail, black chinese strung hackle palmeredup the body and some pearl krystal flash. catches alot of steelies, bass, gills and catfish and sucker fish and carp and prolly anything else too!!
I have the same book you got I believe? was bought from gander mountain for a x-mas present
Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:12 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Yep the tail is the difference, but that being said, often the presentation is going to be different.
The WB is a streamer pattern and the WW is a nymph pattern. I like doing the WW body in a crystal chenille and instead of the traditional orange or red tag, I use a very short bit of marabou, more of a "tag" then a couple of strands of crystal flash tied longer than the tag. It is sort of a WB but with almost no tail. Put a peacock herl shell over the whole thing and I think you have something you guys call a "Crackle Back?" I first saw that done with a Whitlock's woolly Worm, which was a yellow chenille body, peacock herl back, grizzly hackle and either an orang or red tag, or no tag at all.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Yep, that's a crackleback in its traditional form, though people have branched out in terms of color.

Woolly worms are good flies and have been around for ages. I've noticed bluegills hit them readily. Also easy to tie.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woolly Bugger vs Woolly Worm

I also hackle the two differently; for me with WBs it's hackle fibers pointing back toward the tail, for WWs; particularly something like a small WW pattern, Griffith's Gnat, for example, it's hackle fibers pointing forward. I've found that a lot of WB/WW patterns are interchangeable. As Terry says, the choice of tail/tailess, depends on how you want to fish them; streamer or nymph. Personally, I agree with George, the WBs are more productive for me, too.

Pocono
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 PM

drnihili is on a distinguished road

How much does choice of color matter for a WB? For example, a recipe calls for yellow chenille, black hackle, and red marabou. It seems to me substiting a brown hackle should be ok. This is clearly an attractor, not an imitator. Is this right?

Last edited by drnihili; 03-13-2010 at 11:11 PM.