The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default First Vice Question

I am looking to pick up my first fly tying vice and have looked at the Thompson Cobra and the Peak Rotary Vice. As this is new to me I do not know much about them other than the fact that I don't want to buy something that I will fill I need to upgrade to a better vice in no time. Which of these would you recommend and why? or would you recommend another vice?
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Vice Question

If you have a local shop, tie a few flies on its vises. The one that you feel suits your needs the best is the one for you.

If you have never tied flies before, do one of two things. Have the salesperson teach you a basic fly like a San Juan Worm, so you can learn the different feels of the vises. Or watch him tie a few flies, and let him tell you the pros and cons of each.

MP
Old 03-19-2010, 01:54 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

i agree.

if you can make it to a shop also look at a Renzetti traveler series and a griffin Montana mongoose i looked at both of these vises this past year and decided on the renzetti due to the fact that i already had all the extras that the Montana mongoose came with and it is easy to upgrade the renzetti traveler when you are ready instead of having to upgrade the whole vise all together. i would personally suggest the griffin Montana mongoose to a new tier because you get both a c clamp and a pedestal that you can try both and find out which you like better and it also comes with needed extras like a hackle gauge bobbin and other tools.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:42 PM

flytyingfred is on a distinguished road

I have an anvil atlas vise and its a full rotary and built like a tank. It comes with a pedastal and a c clamp also . I have had it for over a year now and been tying with no complaints. Fred
Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got Peak for a few months...must say I'm very pleased with it like many other forum members,maybe the best deal for the money at the moment
Old 03-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I own a Peak Rotary vise and have had it for about two years now. It is a great vise, but so are the other vises mentioned previously. I would recommend you take MP and ab_fisher's advice and go out to your local fly shop and see how the vice feels in "YOUR" hands.

Larry
Old 03-19-2010, 11:06 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Peak, I love it. Outstanding value.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

No recommendation here. Just jumping on to say that I've I've got a Dan-Vise, and have been looking at buying a Peak. IMO, with the right jaws and accessories may be close to the Dyna-King, but I'd like one of those too.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

I have the Peak Rotary and also the midge jaws with it...i love it...its very good quality and very sturdy...i have the pedestal model and the pedestal is very nice as well
Old 03-20-2010, 09:02 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tuck,
You can Google reviews of the Peak and Cobra, and there are a lot of good reviews for the Peak. Al Campbell reviewed the Cobra, and you'll see that on Google (it links to another forum, so I can't post it here).

Why buy a Peak? Low cost for a rock solid rotary; $35 jaws (standard, midge, saltwater); 5lb pedestal; D-Arm accessory adds to rotary function, and is not available on Renzetti; Made in the USA. The Peak is also a very simple design, without o-rings and other band-aids required to function smoothly.