The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 12:03 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What materials are a must to begin tying trout flies

I think you'll like Craven's book. Detailed step by step with quality pictures. Read his intro section on the tools and techniques... Even though I read some of the same stuff here and in other books, it still reinforced some postive tips. I also recommend that you take the author's advice and tie at least 6-12 in a single session... It's helped me land proportions and fix the tiny mistakes I was making.

Most importantly, have fun after all, that's what makes this sport somuch fun.

Justin
Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepeterser2451 View Post
get a good quality bobbin. i went crazy with the cheap stainless steel one i bought
Anyone tried the C&F bobbin? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I know it is expensive...is it worth it or is the price a lot more than the product is worth?
Tuck
Old 03-24-2010, 11:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

For all the patterns there are out there, I could get by on the following: Green Weenie, Wooly Bugger, Zebra Midge, and a Parachute Adams. I tie a lot of different patterns, but those are the four I use 95% of the time. The sizes vary a wee bit, and the Zebra midge can be tied in black or olive.

No experience with the C&F bobbin, but I think the Griffins are great. I read somewhere that a dental floss threader (for people with braces) makes a nice
threader, and I finally bought a pack of 25 last Fall. They work great, and don't bend (plastic rather than wire). The don't wear out, so I suppose I have
a lifetime supply.....
Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 PM

the rod tosser is on a distinguished road

check out the tutorials here great site for any one wanting to learn how to tie flys.
FAOL Fly Tying - menu

start with the beginners and work your way through the lessons.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:39 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure the misspelling wasn't intentional, but "vice" is what it's going to become! =)

Spend a little time making your decision on your vise... don't jump into one. Lots of tyers like a rotary vise, others don't. If I could recommend one vise only, it would be the Regal Inex, unless you can justify the cost of the Medallion with the bronze base. This vise is foolproof. If you don't want to spend that much right off the bat, the Griffin Montana Pro II isn't bad.

You'll also need a high quality pair of scissors
Amazon.com: Kershaw Skeeter Fly Tying Scissors Md: 1210.: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Kershaw Skeeter Fly Tying Scissors Md: 1210.: Sports & Outdoors
, and buy a cheap pair as well so you aren't tempted to cut wire or oversized items with your good pair. You can also look at Gingher Embroidery scissors at a fabric store- periodically Joann Fabric and Crafts have 40-50% off coupons and these are nice scissors. Whatever you do, make sure they're comfortable on your hand.

Next is a bobbin... and as mentioned by someone else, BUY A GOOD ONE. The
Amazon.com: Griffin Fly Tying Bobbins Griffin Ceramic: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Griffin Fly Tying Bobbins Griffin Ceramic: Sports & Outdoors
is nice, and do yourself a favor- buy two. They will groove over time, and it's nice to have two threaded because as you begin tying, it isn't uncommon to nick your thread on the tip of the hook and pop it, and then you have to spend time re-threading your one bobbin.

While they aren't mandatory, a decent paid of hackle pliers are a good investment as well. Again, some folks like the rotary models, others perfer the fixed. I like
Amazon.com: Stonfo Soft Touch Ring Hackle Pliers: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Stonfo Soft Touch Ring Hackle Pliers: Sports & Outdoors
myself... but similar to scissors, see what feels confortable in your hand

Unless you're planning to buy all barbless hooks, but a nice pair of fine tipped needle nose pliers for smashing barbs, and smash them BEFORE you tie the fly. This keeps you from snapping the hook at the bend if you do this after you tie them!

Then materials... you mentioned nymphs, but not what sizes so... thread (3/0, 6/0 and 8/0, black and gray) pheasant tail, peacock tail or strung herl, a selection of dubbing (natural or synthetic, or blends) in the colors of the flies you plan to tie (black grey, brown, tan, rust, olive?), a hare's mask, some form of soft/wet hackles, metal beads (make sure they fit on the hooks you plan to use), wire for ribbing (if you have some dead Xmas lights around, strip the coating and you'll have enough wire for decades!)

This is enough stuff to get you started. Make sure you bag all of your materials independent of each other and ALWAYS close them up when you're done to avoid bugs. Avoid the temptation to buy large quantities of anything but hooks and hackles- I have a 50 gal. container of furs and fur patches that I'll probably never use that I've collected from a variety of sources, which is another story for another time =)

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

This is another excellent source of tutorials. Harry Mason is a great guy, and the level of detail on these freebies is AWESOME!!! In additiojn to the patterns, there's some great info on materials (biots, hare's mask) and techniques (excellent whip finish animation). As you go through them, pay careful attention to the position of his hands and how he holds and releases materials as he applies them.

He also offers a disc that includes more patterns, but there's enough free stuff here to choke a horse!