The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 08:36 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default What materials are a must to begin tying trout flies

Hopefully picking up my vice in the next couple of weeks and started looking at some tying material today. Wow...can that be overwhelming. What material do I need to pick up first to start practicing tying. I mostly nymph fish if that helps. Also, what books woud you recommend that show step by step instruction.
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 03-20-2010, 08:42 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What materials are a must to begin tying trout flies

Hooks.

But seriously, you can make some generic nymphs with nothing more than a little hackle for the tail and a dubbed body. Maybe throw a bead on there. What I would do is pick a fly that you use the most and get the materials to make that one. Then practice tying that one until you nailed it. Then move on to another fly.

A good starter fly is the wooly bugger. All you need for that is marabou, chenelle, and saddle hackle (in whatever color) and that's the basic bugger.

I have an Orvis book that I don't use, but instead I look on youtube a lot. Videos are easier for me to learn on.

Ant
Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

I highly reccommend picking up Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying... it's a progressive book that will take you from simple nymphs to harder dries. With each new pattern comes some new set of skills that will aid you in tying more difficult flies.
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying

On the materials list: pick up what you need to tie up 12-24 of one pattern. This way, over time you will have accumulated enough materials to tie many patterns... when I first started tying I immediately started buying random stuff, now I have a nice dry feather saddle, but I'm not skilled enough to use it... I should have put that money towards something I could use now, but live and learn...

Good luck, it's almost as addicting as fly fishing itself.

Justin
Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Book: "Basic Fly Tying" by Charlie Craven. It will take you through a progression of easier to harder skills. It will give you a new fly to tie each time he adds new skills. You can buy materials from the recipe for each fly.

Materials: If you want to buy some right away to get started the following are real staples for a tyers bench.
Black thread 6/0; a pheasant tail; peacock herl; hare's mask natural; small copper wire; sz 14 nymph hooks; brass beads.
You'll be amazed at how many different flies that you can tie with those materials.
Google: how to tie a pheasant tail nymph video and copy him. Enjoy.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
Hopefully picking up my vice in the next couple of weeks and started looking at some tying material today. Wow...can that be overwhelming. What material do I need to pick up first to start practicing tying. I mostly nymph fish if that helps. Also, what books woud you recommend that show step by step instruction.
Thanks,
Tuck
Hi Tuck,
Whenever I teach fly tying classes, the first fly I teach is the San Juan Worm. What that teaches is thread control and whip finishing.

The next fly that I teach is the Woolly Bugger. That will teach the basic foundation of tying.

From there you can branch off to other flies. The next two flies that I teach are the Pheasant Tail and the Hare's Ear Nymph. After these two nymphs, you should be able to tie any nymph.

My favorite nymph book is Tying Nymphs by Randall Kaufmann.

MP
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I'll second MP on his choice of book, excellent for the beginner. Don't go over board on materials; you mentioned you mostly nymph fish, a few packs of dubbing, thread, wire, pheasant tail and some peacock herl and you'll be in business...and of course some hooks...

Dan
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Tuck--

Again you're getting good advice here. There's TONS on info on the web from step by steps to Youtube vids. I'll second or third the Charlie Craven book for a range of trout flies from nymphs to dries, but you can also get a great bunch of step by steps for free from his website:
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials use the drop down box (where it says "1 shop picture" to select patterns, and once you pull up the pattern, click on its tutorial link).

The Kaufmann book Mosca recommended is also excellent.

And as everyone has suggested, start out slow, pick some patterns and buy materials to tie those, instead of trying to buy a ton of stuff to tie one of everything and getting overwhelmed.

If you have a good fly shop near you, they'll be worth their weight in gold in helping to select patterns and materials, and no doubt they'll be able to give you a few pointers at the vise.

If you're cursed with a lack of shops, as they are disappearing in a lot of places, here's a shopping list for a few basic patterns (effective and good beginner patterns) and a ball park idea of prices. You don't have to buy it all at once-- but these are also good "building block" materials to have on hand used on a lot of other patterns. I listed Mustad hooks since they are widely available and relatively inexpensive, but there are many other good choices as well in equivalent models.

For Woolly Buggers
Hook 3xlong streamer like a Mustad R74-9672 size 8 about 25/4.50 or 50/8.00
Gold Beads (optional) 5/32" or 4.0mm for size 8 hooks 30/3.00
Non Toxic "lead" wire .030" or .025" diameter 2.50 spool
Chenille (black and olive) 2.50 each
Strung marabou (black and olive) 2.25 each
Bugger pack of hackle (Black or Grizzly) 14.00
Gold Wire medium for ribbing 2.50 spool
Krystal Flash ( pearl) optional 4.00 pack

Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymphs
Hooks 2xl nymph hook like a Mustad R73-9671 sizes 12 and 14 25/4.50 or 50//8.00
Ultra Wire Gold Xsmall 2.50 spool
Hare's Mask (natural) 5.00
Non toxic "Lead" wire .015" 2.50 spool
Gold Beads optional (size 1/8" or 3.5mm for size 12 and 14) 30/3.00

Pheasant Tail Nymphs (and hooks, beads for smaller Gold Ribbed Hare's Ears)
2 xl Hooks, like Mustad R73-9671 in sizes 16 and 18
Pheasant Tail Feathers typically 1.25 a piece
Strung Peacock Herl 1/4 oz for 4.00
Gold or Copper beads 7/16" or 3.0mm for size 14 and 16 hooks
Ultra Wire, Copper xsmall 2.50 spool
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

THanks to everyone for the advice so far. I am ordering the Charlie Craven book today after all the support I am hearing about it here. I am really looking forward to getting started tying as it will give me something better to do than sitting around watching tv when the weather is too nasty to be outside.
Thanks again,
Tuck
Old 03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ksigtuck,

I can highly recommend Tying Nymphs by Randall Kaufmann. It is laid out with easy at the beginning progressing to more complected later in the book. It is in its 3rd edition so that tells you how popular it is. The pictures are excellent. If you work your way through this book tying all of the flies you will know how to tie nymphs for sure. Including Randall's great stone nymphs. I also recommend you get the Spiral Hardcover. It lays flat and is worth the extra money.

This book is not cheap but I always buy books as investments. You will also get some history lessons about early fly tying in California.

Frank

Tying Nymphs by Randall Kaufmann
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 PM

mepeterser2451 is on a distinguished road

get a good quality bobbin. i went crazy with the cheap stainless steel one i bought and tonight i just got the griffin supreme ceramic and its a billion times better. spend the extra money. its worth it.