The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default What Materials do you use to make Dubbing

I'm thinking it might make more sense to start making my own dubbing. I'm familiar with the process (coffee grinder or can of water). I'm more interested in the material aspect.
1. What furs, synthetics, etc. are you using?
2. What ratios are needed to make dry fly and nymph dubbing?
3. How do you dye the dubbing? (seems like it would be hard to dye dark colored fur, but isn't that what most fur is?)

Thanks,
Lee
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What Materials do you use to make Dubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
I'm thinking it might make more sense to start making my own dubbing. I'm familiar with the process (coffee grinder or can of water). I'm more interested in the material aspect.
1. What furs, synthetics, etc. are you using?
2. What ratios are needed to make dry fly and nymph dubbing?
3. How do you dye the dubbing? (seems like it would be hard to dye dark colored fur, but isn't that what most fur is?)

Thanks,
Lee
Furs = Rabbit, squirrel, beaver, angora goat, deer and elk.
synthetic = most any from the major suppliers(HareLine, Wapsi & Montana Fly).
For Dry Flies I prefer Wapsi super fine & micro fine.
Ratios... up to you & the look you are after.
To dye furs & feathers you need acid dyes (Jaquards, Prochemical or Dharma Trading) (Veniards is too inconsistent and expensive) You cannot dye something dark to a lighter colour.
Dying is easy for the basic colours, mixing and over-dying takes a bit of practice, use cheap feathers to practice. Remember grade school lessons on mixing primary colours, dying a blue gray feather (dun) with yellow and you get something on the greenish/olive shade. For light colours cream or white work best.
hope that helps a bit, its all good fun
Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
You cannot dye something dark to a lighter colour.
Ouch,tell this to brunette which wants to be blond
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Ouch,tell this to brunette which wants to be blond
Silly women
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

I don't dye dubbing, but will mix colors to get a desired color. The ratios are total experimentation. When I load them in my coffee grinder lid it's usually measured by same size pinches; 80%/20% mix would be 8 pinches/2 pinches. I mix regular dubbing with ice dub or lite brite to kick up the sparkle. The one that I never mix is dry fly dubbing for it always balls-up on me.
Tip: write down your formula because sure as heck you'll run out and need to mix more. I recently mixed a pretty good synthetic peacock with bronze lite brite, tan and green possum, and didn't write it down. Wish I had.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Lee,

The fellas have the materials pretty well covered I see. I will add this, find some good sticky dubbing wax, with the right wax getting anything to cling to a thread will be much easier. I am a single strand dubber and very seldom mess with dubbing loops. With the right wax and practice at making a nice tight rope of dub you can tie from #18 dries up to a 1/0 salmon fly body. I have no idea if Overton's Wonder Wax is still sold but that is what I use when spinning furs to thread.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Tip: write down your formula because sure as heck you'll run out and need to mix more. I recently mixed a pretty good synthetic peacock with bronze lite brite, tan and green possum, and didn't write it down. Wish I had.
Jimmie gave you a very good tip, I would add to save some of the mixture if you really like it and don't use it. Stick it in a zip lock bag with the recipe and save it for reference.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the great advice. So how do you make the lighter color dubbing (yellows, white, light grey, etc)? I can't imagine that you have to start of with fur of that color, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
So how do you make the lighter color dubbing (yellows, white, light grey, etc)?
Start with white or cream fur or feathers then dye them any colour you want. I use white or cream angora dub to dye all of my colours. If you look at dyed deer belly hair for example, that fur starts off on the white side and then dyes are added to give the desired colour. Look at a buck tail that has been dyed, the white fur takes on the new colour but the brown fur stays "mostly" brown, but does take some of the dye. Don't think of dye as paint, but more of a translucent colouring agent.

This video will give you an idea on how it works.

Last edited by darwin; 05-01-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Thanks for all of the great info!

BTW in regards to Jimmie's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
... The one that I never mix is dry fly dubbing for it always balls-up on me. ...
I use compressed canned air to mix the dubbing. What I do is pick apart the dubbing and put it in a zip lock bag. I add what I want to mix it with into the bag, then close the bag. I stick the straw from the canned air into the bag and in short bursts release the air. It does a very nice job of mixing the dubbing.