The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Danvise Question

It seems like someone in a past thread asked if the top head assembly was suppose to be pressed on the top of the shaft and maybe spin freely. I searched all over the forum and can't find it. My Danvise head just started spinning too easily. It doesn't seen right, but when I take the head off the top of the shaft it doesn't look like it's ever been glued. My question is the whole head assembly tight on the top of your Danvise center shaft?
If it's suppose to be I'll just expoxy it on. Not worth sending it back.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Danvise Question

I believe mine does not spin... let me check when I get home and I'll post my findings.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Rock solid... I don't believe any knobs are tightend to keep it there either... must be glued. Hope that helps Jimmie.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Yeah JMS. That helps a lot. I thank you sir.

I'm going to epoxy it solid.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've got a Danvise but am having problems understanding just what your problem is. Have you considered e-mailing or talking to Al Beatty, the U.S. distributor for Danvise? He's been very helpful when I've contacted him on issues I had, and is certainly the U.S. authority on the Danvise (he's the one who developed the extension arm for use with large/saltwater/bass flies). His website is BT's Fly Fishing & Photography, fly fishing, fly tying, Danvise, rotary tying, LaFontaine's Legacy and lists both e-mail (which has always been answered promptly in my experience) and toll-free phone, as well as links for instructional videos, parts lists, etc.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info F2F. That is valueable. I'll get in touch with him, and keep that info for future reference.
The whole top jaw assembly will lift right off the shaft. It's just tight enough that it won't spin much unless you have to torque some thread.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, Jimmie, that doesn't sound right to me either. I'm sure Al can straighten it out for you. If it needs a part, his aren't too expensive. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 PM

Thanks again F2F. That Al is the best. What a good guy. Here's the answer if anyone else ever has that problem. At the factory they put the head assembly on the shaft with one drop of super glue. It should be solid.
Thanks everyone for your input.