The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:36 PM

jsmrider is on a distinguished road
Default Getting Started?

(Like I need another hobby) I'm almost afraid to ask, but if I was interested in learning to tie my own flys is there a logical place to start? Does Orvis or some other oudoor retailer have a 'beginners kit' and if so would it work for both salt and freshwater applications? Or do I just get a pair of visegrips, some hooks, feathers, thread and start whipping up duplications of flys I already use?

Thanks in advance-
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Getting Started?

Hi,

First thing to do is check with your local fly shop and ask about a tying class. This will save many hours of trial and error vise work. In a class environment you will learn about all the tools and many materials needed to create your own flies.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Have to agree with Ard on this one. A simple basic tying course will give you all the basics. From there you can get as creative as you want but without the basic you'll do a lot of struggling. Most fly shops offer introductory courses. Beginning kits can be found in many places but your course provider will have recommendation for you.

Good luck and enjoy the new hobby. Nothing better than catching fish on your own ties!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jsmrider-

You've gotten great advice about getting some help from a fly shop if you have one near you. If you really want to get into it, you're better off getting some basic tools, materials to tie 2-3 patterns to start, and a decent vise. Folks at the shop can help you pick out a vise that will cover the range of hook sizes you'll want to use. (This can be a bit tricky depending on how large a hook you want to use in SW.)

Although kits seem like a great idea, they generally come with a cheap poorly machined vise with soft metal jaws, poor quality tools and a very limited assortment of materials.

I've tied some simple SW stuff with vise grips, and you could even use a bench vise with large hooks if you wanted to give it a shot, but you'd be much better off with a fly tying vise, and for freshwater hooks their small size doesn't make either vise grips or a bench vise very practical.

If you don't have any fly shops around let us know where you are and what you'll be fishing for in both FW and salt-- we can probably give you some suggestions to get you started--- though as others have said help from a good local shop would be the best way to get into it.

Whereabouts are you? In addition to shops, there might be some fly fishing clubs near by that have classes or informal tying nights.