The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Kaufmann's closing?

Sad to see a thread in another area here that Kaufmann's Streamborn will be closing it's doors and possibly liquidating their holdings, at minimum reorganizing and filing for bankruptcy protection.

Given how much money *I* spent there, I doubted this would ever happen. I think the plethora of shops/electronic storefronts that have popped up have made it difficult for the icons in the business, as well as the local fly shops and mom and pop places to survive.

True, we all want to find the best prices to get stuff at to save some bucks, but the ability to "press the flesh" and actually touch the materials and gather around the counter was an important part of doing this.

Won't ever forget how we used to part out a rabbit skin or strip of deer hide and swap and trade in the shop!! And nothing compared to opening a package, pulling out a saddle or cape and fanning out the feathers to select one.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Kaufmann's closing?

'They're gone,' now a big "Garage Sale?"
Old 05-05-2011, 04:01 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Kaufmann's closing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Sad to see a thread in another area here that Kaufmann's Streamborn will be closing it's doors and possibly liquidating their holdings, at minimum reorganizing and filing for bankruptcy protection.

Given how much money *I* spent there, I doubted this would ever happen. I think the plethora of shops/electronic storefronts that have popped up have made it difficult for the icons in the business, as well as the local fly shops and mom and pop places to survive.

True, we all want to find the best prices to get stuff at to save some bucks, but the ability to "press the flesh" and actually touch the materials and gather around the counter was an important part of doing this.

Won't ever forget how we used to part out a rabbit skin or strip of deer hide and swap and trade in the shop!! And nothing compared to opening a package, pulling out a saddle or cape and fanning out the feathers to select one.
You are right about that. It is business, but a fly shop is, or can be more than just a business. My favorite back home always has a bird-dog that will greet you at the door, and the aroma of pipe tobacco on all of the filson gear. It's on the feathers too, I think the trout like it. And nothing beats pulling the capes and saddles out of the bag and fanning them out to see what you are about to drop (at least) $40 on!

Sorry to hear about you place closing down.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:32 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

It wasn't REALY my place, but one of my favorites. MY PLACES were two of the old stalwarts- PW McClintic's in Oakland CA at 927 Broadway... doubt there is ANYONE here that ever heard of them or remembers it... up a long narrow flight of stairs to the second floor in an old Victorian above a pawn shop... the strong smell of moth cakes and bamboo rod varnish permeating the air. Glass doored cabinets and cedar wood inserts in the drawers of apothecary style cabinets along two walls to protect all the imported feathers and furs, a rack of handmade bamboo rods along another wall- from "E weight' fly rods up to deep sea boat rods with hand-lathe turned oak and cork handles. Paul and his wife ran this shop until the mid-1970s

My favorite was always "Creative Sports Enterprises", the shop run by Andre (Andy) Puyans which had three different venues over time. This was a hangout, not just a place to buy materials and stuff. A lot of characters, a LOT of tyers... a great artist (John McKim) and stories that never ended. Lots of parking lot swaps of materials too- I used to keep a box of ziploc bags of 'stuff' and empty bags in my truck for my visits there... no telling WHAT you'd come home with!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Stimmy, that sounds like a hell of a place. The sort of "down home place" that someone like Ernest Hemingway would have written about. Wish I'd been there. Come to think of it, maybe you're the next "Ernest Hemingway" and can write it up!

Neil