The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Getting back into Tying.

Hello everyone, I'm new here but definitely not new to tying or fly fishing. I started tying probably close to ten years ago when I was nine or ten. I got out of tying a while ago for a few reasons, my vise broke, as it wasn't the best, highschool sports took hold and left little time, But i want to get back into it.

I have a birthday coming up and asked my mom to get me the "starter" kit for trout flies from bass pro. I started with the bass kit years ago and really liked it, plus i tie fairly sparingly so the tools that come with it should be more than adequate. I also Purchased a supply of stuff on ebay just like this:

Free Shipping Moose River Fly Tying Kit Materials Flies - eBay (item 200463363063 end time Apr-26-10 18:05:55 PDT)

I know it wont have a whole lot of each thing but it will get me back more into tying. I also forgot to mention back home away from college I have all the stuff needed for some craw flies and a select few hackle capes, threads, lead wire, brown shiny chenille stuff that i use for my favorite fly, peacock hearl and some other random assorted things. Im particularly interested in tying some mouse patterns for bass and some large trout this summer at the trout parks.

What would be some other good materials to go ahead and purchase for future tying?

I would just like some input for some good patters to start tying for some bass, sunfish, trout, a small carp or two.

Primarily I fish bigger lakes like Truman Lake in MO, and the Lake of the Ozarks so any good patterns tha tpeople know of would be awesome, plus a lot of little neighborhood ponds that have some good fish. When i get back home for the semester i'll post some pics of a killer fly... i dont know if it has a name, of a fly that a lady at an orvis shop taught me to tie.

I almost forgot to mention that i have a white river 6wt. 9' fly rod, it was a combo that i purchased from bass pro and has worked admirably for me throughout the years.

Thanks for reading,
Good luck fishing everyone.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Getting back into Tying.

Hey Lancer,

Welcome to the group, there are several members in your area that will no doubt see your post and be more help than I can. I live quite a ways from MO. and am not familiar with your hatches or what you will need in those lakes. It is good to see that you are getting your thread and feathers out again and I'll watch for your posts. If you start to tie streamers I'll jump in and help you with some suggestions there because I use them more than anything. Think Woolly Buggers just to get started, everything takes them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2010, 01:21 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty good with the buggers and the clousers, actually the fly that i really slam a lot of good bass along the banks with is a sort of bugger. It has a weird hook shape, dont know the name but I was told it's a "stinger" hook with a real wide gap and slightly facing inward point.. Just brown marabou tail, brown rubber legs, I always tied in some leadwire for sink, and over the legs just some flashy brown chenille, I also tied in some eyes or a bead to get it down even faster. Essentially it's a bugger minus the hackle along the body.. It's killer for bankside bass right at dusk.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum...As Ard said...you'll find lots of infos here and many members from your area eager to give you a hand
Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM

canine is on a distinguished road

Lancer, some patterns for trout around Mo would be cracklebacks, renegades, scuds, zebra midges, and pheasant tails. There are plenty of others, but those would be a start for me. I tend to tie things in the range of size 14 to 20. Now you say that you learned a fly from a lady at an Orvis shop, are you from the KC area? If you are, Rainbow fly shop is still there, just moved across the hwy. You can always get some good info there, and people are usually tying on the weekends (more patterns to see and learn, like the local version of the superman midge). Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi lancer09,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining. You will find many helpful and knowledgeable members.

I wonder if you are making a smart purchase with the Bass Pro Shop vise and tool kit. I only saw one the call the Standard T Classic Vise for $29. Is this the kit you are interested in?

Frank
Old 04-22-2010, 03:03 PM

I was actually looking at the trout starter kit. Years ago I had the bass one and it was awesome getting me into tying plus the kit comes with a lot o materials that I didn't have, that I used to wish I did a lot of times. The only thing that ever broke was the vise and I got a solid five to six years of use about it. I actually asked my mom to visit the orvis rainbow fly shop mentioned above to see what they reccommended as it is probably the best shop in the surrounding area. To, I believe it was canine, yes I am from kc, lees summit to be precise but I attend school down in the springfield.

Though I like the aforementioned kit I am definitely open to suggestions on what vise and materials to get, I probably need some new scissors and a hairstacker to, if some one could link me to a decent basic package that would be great, along with some materials that would probably come in handy for tying a wide assortment of flies
Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 PM

canine is on a distinguished road

It looks to me like the vise in their trout kit is the cheapest one they carry. If you are planning on getting back into tying, and staying with it for a while, I would consider getting a better vise that will last a while. The fly shop has a good assortment, and as a bonus, you can sit down right there and try them out. See what you like, and what you are comfortable with. No need to make a rush decision, especially if it is going to be something you are going to use for years. As for the materials. I thought in your post, you mentioned still having some materials. They sounded like a good starting place, if you buy the kit, you may end up with things you won't use. I might wait if I were you, until you get back into town, and talk to the guys at the shop. Might keep you from buying things you won't end needing.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:19 AM

Thank you for all the advice everyone, i will probably hold off on getting the trout starter kit and go look at a better vice particularly. I am after one that will basically hold the hooks, and i really do not need a rotary one becuase i can pretty well move around a hook and see what i am looking at very well.

how much would a decent pair of scissors or hair stacker cost at most fly shops.

I will also ask them what some good materials i would need for the types of flys i plan on tying..

Thanks again for all the help and i appreciate any more that everyone is willing to give.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Forum and back to tying...I would avoid the kit; look at the different vises at the shop and go from there. Talk to the local folks for most appropriate flies and develop your material needs from their list.

Dan