The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 09:36 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Bead Head Flies and Mustad Hooks

Hi everyone,
First I want to talk about bead heads for tying nymphs like the pheasant tail, hares ear and prince. I want to know what size hook shank(1XL,2XL) you guys use when you use a bead head.

Now onto Mustad hooks. I dont know if its just me but it seems like there different from Tiemco and Daiichi. I bought 2XL nymph/wet hooks and it seems like the shank of the hook is as long as a Tiemco or Dai Riki standard hook. Also, I could not fit the bead on the Mustad hook but went rite on a Daiichi hook. It seems like I will just be buying Tiemco and Daiichi from now on.

Also, do you have any favorite websites you like to order your hooks from?

It looks like allenflyfishing.com has alot of Tiemco hooks at very cheap prices.

Thanks for the help.

-Bobby

Last edited by bobbyc21fish; 04-23-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bead Head Flies and Mustad Hooks

Bobby some of the Mustad hooks with a sproat bend and heavier wire (S80-3906 and S82-3906B) don't accept beads very well. The R73-9671 (3xl), R74-9672 (4xl) with round bends do accept beads a lot easier. Hook and Hackle often has very good prices for Mustads-- typically they offer a 10% discount for buying on line and they periodically run promos for an additional 10%. I haven't found a best place for Tiemco or Daiichi in terms of prices yet.

I tend to use 2xl hooks for bead head nymphs.

mark
Old 04-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Bobby some of the Mustad hooks with a sproat bend and heavier wire (S80-3906 and S82-3906B) don't accept beads very well. The R73-9671 (3xl), R74-9672 (4xl) with round bends do accept beads a lot easier. Hook and Hackle often has very good prices for Mustads-- typically they offer a 10% discount for buying on line and they periodically run promos for an additional 10%. I haven't found a best place for Tiemco or Daiichi in terms of prices yet.

I tend to use 2xl hooks for bead head nymphs.

mark
Mark: Check out Allen Fly Fishing for TMC hooks, very good prices:
Alpha & Co. Fly Tying Hooks

Larry
Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

I just found out they arent really TMC. They just compare their hooks to Tiemco.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc21fish View Post
I just found out they arent really TMC. They just compare their hooks to Tiemco.
Good point, thanks for the information!

Larry
Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Mark: Check out Allen Fly Fishing for TMC hooks, very good prices:
Alpha & Co. Fly Tying Hooks

Larry
I use the TMC hooks from this site and have found them much better than the mustard hooks I was using the price for me is a 100 pac is similar too a NZ 25 pac of hooks (a few dollars more for compareable quality), and there is no diffrence in quality in small sizes to Karmazan (they seem to have a better heat treatment) and less distortion around the eye (good for neat heads).

I have found on the streamer hooks the eye is formed better but I have had trouble getting a neat head on them and the point is not as sharp as the Karmazan (this was the samples I got) and the hook point maybe that they are very diffrent styles as there is no hook available over here too compare with.

The guy that makes them is good too deal with and pritty accomidating, he will look at making some extra styles if requested.

Bobby I normaly use 1x long hooks for bead heads on those flies

Chris
Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
adam3654 is on a distinguished road

The hooks that I have bought from Justin at Allen & Co., Fishing Tackle have been very good quality and the price can't be beat.

If you are going for bead head nymphs, IMHO the 3761's (1x long nymph hook) are a bit short, I would use a 2x long 5262 which would compare to a mustad 9671. The mustad 9671 is my favorite hook for bead head pheasant tails. For some reason a mustad 3x long hook compares to a TMC 2x long hook. Goes to show you there is no standard when it comes to hooks.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 AM

the rod tosser is on a distinguished road

not sure about the mustad hooks but here is a link to a bead head guide .
Good Stuff :: Bead Chart
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Everyone,

If anyone wants samples of my hooks. Please PM me. I'd be happy to send them out. I also have bulk pricing of $35.00/1,000 pcs. You can mix and match hooks. Just need a min of 50hooks per size.

Thanks

Justin "Allen"