The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 AM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Making big flies small

I was wondering if there was some possible way that I could tie big flies (ie, the baptizer or the home invader) could be tied smaller and if so how is it approached?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 AM

the rod tosser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Making big flies small

most materials are measured against the hook it self .
hook shank , hook gap ,and eye of the hook . see article bellow on fly tying proportions
http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/proportion.shtml

tie the pattern on a smaller hook with materials to match the proportions . example lets say a tail is generally 1 - 2 1/2 the hook shank length

and may be measured in width against the hook gape . or the eye of the hook or what not

you may also have to use a dubbing loop or split thread technique .Example would be perhaps a fly tied with a marabou hackle.

Last edited by the rod tosser; 04-27-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Morphius,

By all means view the link Tosser has provided to you. I tie many flies on a size 3, 4, or 5 salmon hook that are often tied on sizes 1/0 - 3/0. You simple scale down all of the materials to fit the hook you wish to use.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the same as Ard; I tie a lot of what are usually #1/0+ Salmon Fly patterns on #6 and even #8 Partridge Bartleet hooks. I'd try them on #10's if Partridge made them (but they don't).

I've recently gotten into tying some of the standard streamer patterns on #14 hooks; and I'm experimenting around with #16's. I like the effect, particularly for fishing smaller trout species such as native Brookies.

Pocono