Making big flies small

morphius

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was some possible way that I could tie big flies (ie, the baptizer or the home invader) could be tied smaller and if so how is it approached?

Reaction score
most materials are measured against the hook it self .
hook shank , hook gap ,and eye of the hook . see article bellow on fly tying proportions
http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/proportion.shtml

tie the pattern on a smaller hook with materials to match the proportions . example lets say a tail is generally 1 - 2 1/2 the hook shank length

and may be measured in width against the hook gape . or the eye of the hook or what not

you may also have to use a dubbing loop or split thread technique .Example would be perhaps a fly tied with a marabou hackle.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Morphius,

By all means view the link Tosser has provided to you. I tie many flies on a size 3, 4, or 5 salmon hook that are often tied on sizes 1/0 - 3/0. You simple scale down all of the materials to fit the hook you wish to use.

Pocono

Reaction score
I've done the same as Ard; I tie a lot of what are usually #1/0+ Salmon Fly patterns on #6 and even #8 Partridge Bartleet hooks. I'd try them on #10's if Partridge made them (but they don't).

I've recently gotten into tying some of the standard streamer patterns on #14 hooks; and I'm experimenting around with #16's. I like the effect, particularly for fishing smaller trout species such as native Brookies.

Pocono