The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Reading Fishing the Film by Gary Borger

Perhaps its just the fact that Gary Borger tapes were the first thing I watched 25 years ago, but everything I have ever read or watched from him are all my favorites. His book 'Fishing the Film' is no exception-matter of fact I think its my favorite favorite if that makes sense, even though I've not even finished it yet. Its the first in a new serious he is writing which I understand is going to cover fishing every part of the water column and more.

I have been blessed with a hand signed copy of 'Fishing the Film" along with a personal hand written note from Mr. Borger in response to a note I sent to him.

I haven't even finished the book yet and though he wrote so that anyone (even me) can understand it I think to really get all the important information down I'm going to have to read it several times in a row and likely more after that. Its not a huge book, but getting what he shares in this book I feel will be a major key, if not the key, to becoming a genuinely accomplished fly fisherman.

I'm not sure why I wrote all that as what really prompted me to bring the book up is in one of the chapters Gary refers to the Parachute Adams as the universal emerger.

Gary says the way that fly partially sits both on top and in the film and the way it looks is the way that all caddis, mayflies, and stoneflies, look at the stage before they have fully left their shucks and are fully on the surface. I may not have explained that well.

What do you all think about the idea that the Parachute Adams is the "universal emerger?"
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-10-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reading Fishing the Film by Gary Borger

Tom: I agree with your assessment of Fishing the Film, that is a great book. The Parachute Adams is a favorite fly of many fly fishermen.

Larry

Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Hi Tom

I have been blessed too when I got my hands on some tapes made by Gary Borger and some casting lessons by Doug Swisher .It was in 1990 and I was luckiest kid on Earth back then
As you know I live on other side of Globe and getting something like that from States back then was not easy.I watch them over and over.....
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Hi Tom

I have been blessed too when I got my hands on some tapes made by Gary Borger and some casting lessons by Doug Swisher .It was in 1990 and I was luckiest kid on Earth back then
As you know I live on other side of Globe and getting something like that from States back then was not easy.I watch them over and over.....
So we found something we can agree on. LOL

That is pretty cool. I'm going be taking intermediate casting lessons from Jeff Putnam on the 21st if he gets back to me letting me if there is a open spot for the class. Jeff is a local casting guru who is supposed to be one of the best.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Reading Fishing the Film by Gary Borger

Back in the day (early 80s?) I remember reading a magazine article by Borger where he spoke about what as I remember he called "damp" flies, but I probably have that term wrong...
Anyway, they were a sparse soft hackle tied on a dry fly hook and meant to be fished "damp" in the surface film looking very much like a stillborn or crippled mayfly.
They're killer.... hard to see, but deadly
Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Back in the day (early 80s?) I remember reading a magazine article by Borger where he spoke about what as I remember he called "damp" flies, but I probably have that term wrong...
Anyway, they were a sparse soft hackle tied on a dry fly hook and meant to be fished "damp" in the surface film looking very much like a stillborn or crippled mayfly.
They're killer.... hard to see, but deadly
He speaks of that in this book I think he called it a wet/dry fly or something like that. Like I said I'll have to read the book several times to remember everything.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
So we found something we can agree on. LOL

That is pretty cool. .
Ofcourse we agree
They both made big influence on me ....well,Doug maybe more
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

I've barely dipped in to fishing the film and I'm already excited for the next book. Listening to his and jasons podcasts on AAFFir, you can hear that they are a WEALTH of knowledge.