The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Glad I finished swap flies early

Because tonight I went to do some leasure tying and pop!!! hook went flying out of the vice. Figured, Oh its a regal, it breaks hooks now and then. NOT THIS TIME!!!! **insert unammused face here** Turns out, the tip of the rear jaw popped right off. So yeah...vice is broken. Calling Regal tomorrow to see if I have a warrenty on it, I dont remember if I sent in the card or not ( its been over 13 years I've had this thing ). So worst thing comes to it, I am out 40 bucks for them to replace the jaws. Just kinda frustrated, Im in a good tying mood and cant....unless I go snag my dad's regal..guess I could do thatn

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Glad I finished swap flies early

Now that's an occurrence! I have never had a Regal but have been clamping hooks since............. well for a long time, and never had a vise break. The worst I had was the jaws on my Thompson 'A' got to the point that they would no longer hold 16 and smaller so I bought a midge jaw for it and used the original for salmon hooks.

My guess / hope is that the company will send you a new set of jaws. I'm glad you didn't tell me that the piece injured you when it flew. I don't wear safety glasses when I tie flies, how bout you?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

yeah it sure surprised me. I'll be calling in the morning, and update after I hear back.

No injury to me, cant even find the piece that popped off. i dont wear safety glasses, never really crossed my mind to either. Probably should start, I have broekn hooks in the vice several times, usually because there is a defect in hook bend, or they are tiny ( i gave up trying to tie 32s in it, it broke them almost instantly )

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I had the same happen with a Renzetti but the piece was small enough to not make too much difference, I've been tying with it for 10 years or more since.