The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default caddis larvae and pupae

Hi everyone,
I want to start tying caddis larvae and pupae and I need some opinions on what your favorite flies are. Also, it would be very helpful if I can have the recipes for your favorite patterns.

Thanks for the help!

-Bobby
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: caddis larvae and pupae

Here is one very nice fly by Rune Stokkebekk.

Trygve
Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Barr's Graphic Caddis! Here is a link showing how to tie:
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm

Larry
Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Plus one LaFountaine Sparkle Caddis pupa.

VideoDemo - tob1's Photos
Old 05-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob1 View Post
Plus one LaFountaine Sparkle Caddis pupa.

VideoDemo - tob1's Photos
Trygve: Of course, how could I forget that one, it is my all time favorite!

Larry
Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

A great caddis larva pattern and simple tie is the Green Rockworm. You can do the google thing for a bunch of variations, but it's basically just a bright green body made from dubbing, v-rib, or twisted antron, and short thorax/head of dark brownish black dubbing. It imitates the free living Rhyacophelia larva found in riffles throughout the country (and fast sections of all your free stone streams in NJ/NY/PA). The same basic tie in a tan body with brownish black thorax/head is a good imitation for net spinning Hydropsche caddis larva, also found in your neck of the woods and throughout the country.

I haven't fished them much but a Peeking Caddis is another caddis larva pattern and imitates many cased caddis including Brachycentrus species that go by various names including grannom, Ligt and dark Shad Flies and Apple and Popcorn Caddis).

For caddis pupae, as folks have said LaFontaine's Emergent Sparkle Pupa and Deep Sparkle Pupa patterns are tough to beat. They can be tied in many different colors, but Bright Green with Tan shroud has been the most productive for me and is a good imitation of many caddis pupa (including Apple Caddis).

Old School traditional patterns like Leadwing Coachman wets and softhackles like Peacock and Partridge, Partridge and Orange/Green/Yellow also do a pretty good job of imitating caddis pupa. The peacock body/dark gray or brown wings does a very good imitation of darker Brachycentrus caddis (Grannoms etc) that are very widespread in our area.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Bobby, here's a simple caddis larvae I tye, you can add a bead head if you want.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: scud type hook, 12 - 18
Abdomen: Caddis Green Ice Dub
Thorax: Peacock Ice Dub

Very easy to tye, but effective...

Dan
Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 AM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help guys. I should be going fishing next weekend. Ill stop at the shop, pick up some materials and tie up some flies. Ill post them in this thread Saturday or Sunday night and ill add some pics of any fish I catch too.

-Bobby