The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
So what if it doesn't look right to you or somebody else? We're not the one's you're trying to feed it to.
That is the trufe! That is a very good point I think a lot of fly design is more about catching fisherman than about catching fish.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Hope you don't mind my asking this its probably a dumb question...Ya I know there is no such thing as a dumb question.

I only have TMC 5262's which are 2X long and 2XH down to size 12, but want to tie down to 16's. When I first tie a fly I prefer to use the hooks and materials that the pattern I'm following calls for. I know that there is nothing wrong with switching some things up. After I'm satisfied with my ties then I might experiment.

I went to Allen Fly Fishing website to order some more 5262's down to sz 16, but currently Justin only has them down to sz 14. However, one pattern I read said you can use either 5262's or 5263's, but the 5263's are 3X Long would the addition 1X length make them look off?
I wouldn't hesitate substituting a 5263 for a 5262. Yes, it's longer, but if you hold them together to compare, it's not significant. I prefer to tie woolly buggers on the 5263, but have substituted 5262s while I was waiting for a shipment. As others point out, fly recipes can be adjusted to accommodate what you have or what you prefer in the tie. Have fun and experiment.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

Out of curiosity, why did you just start tying the CJ's? I just tied my first one today, I'm following Charlie's book though. Buggers are next.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

No problem with the KF since the whole wingcase gets covered with a blob of clear epoxy. Like mentioned above you should use a number of strands over the thinskin or turkey wingcase.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Copper johns are one of my top producers and i always used the thin skin for mine and they seemed to work well
Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I love to use Copper Johns as a dropper got them in lots of colors pink, green, red, blue, black, gray,charturses. and i add a grouse feather for a sprase throax and trim the top off.Works good
Old 06-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypobaricstalker View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you just start tying the CJ's? I just tied my first one today, I'm following Charlie's book though. Buggers are next.
Sorry somehow I missed this question till today, I didn't mean to ignore you. I started tying CJ's, because they are one of the most productive flies I fish and would rather tie them than buy them.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have since purchased the Fly Tiers Dungeon Flashabou, plus I also bought some flashable when I visited the shop where Dennis (MoscaPescador) works.

I've tied several now in 3 different sizes 12, 14, 16 and I realize that since peacock herl is tried and proven I should have used it. However, I've tied them with Fly Tyer's Dungeon Mr. Peacock dubbing and personally like how buggy they look. I'm going to tie more in each size with peacock herl just in case the fish don't agree with me.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Tom, try tying some with Peacock Ice Dub; I think you'll like the effect.

Dan
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post

Dan
Dan, thanks that does sound good...I do really like Ice Dub.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post

Dan
I love that stuff!!! It makes any black inscet fly instantly better haha

Storm Drain Bonefisher