The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

So copper john's are giving me fits. Finally got the wire wraps down , I also am using UV krystal flash as legs which looks cool and is easier to tie.

I really struggle with getting the biots correct. Does anyone use pheasant tail fibers, or just keep practicing until I get proficient at using biots

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Just keep practicing. Not the same with pheasant tail fibers and a big part of the actual fly is the biots for the tail. While the flash is not true to original pattern form it sounds cool but I think i'll stick with a few fibers, I use grizzly hackle because i don't have any starling or whatever the original recipe calls for.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thanks,

Yeah the biots I get pretty good 60% of the time, the rest are tolerable. I was going to grab some either pheasant tail fibers or hackle for the legs but tried something knew.I guess the fish will tell me how good the pattern is.

For some weird reason until tonight if I used two wires I got the wraps great but with a single I really struggled. Took my time on the first two wraps the holding pressure towards the tail of the vice I let the peak rotary do its work and the wraps look great.

The one I like the way it looks and hope the fish do is a copper and silver two tone. Copper in BR and Silver in S looked really nice together, good reflection, segmentation.

I need to go fishing

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Biots are a bit tricky to tie in at first, but with practice it does become a lot easier. I take 2 off the stem and place them in my fingers so the points are facing in opposite directions. From there I measure and use a pinch loop to get them to sit correctly. Another good technique is shown in this video.
. If you haven't already check out some of Davies videos, I strongly suggest you do. I know that they have helped me progress a LOT since I first began tying.

-Chase
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM

Wow he made that look easy. Thanks for sharing,I will check out more of his videos

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I mentioned this as a fly trying trick a while back, but if you put a little tiny ball of dubbing at the back of the fly it will help keep the biots seperated when you tie them in.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.