The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

I discovered I do not have any Flashabou. I thought I had purchased some, but apparently I was mistaken.

Would Crystal flash work as an alternative in a Copper John? The fact that Crystal Flash is not flat like Flashabou is what makes me doubt and since I've never tied with either material I thought I should ask.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:55 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Started Tying My First Copper Johns But...

I don't think you need any. Tying the Original Copper John

My bad, I always just used spooled clear pearl Mylar and thought that was the original. my apologies.

Last edited by darwin; 05-11-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Pearl Krystal Flash will look off, but it will have a similar effect. You will have to put a few strands side by side.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Hope you don't mind my asking this its probably a dumb question...Ya I know there is no such thing as a dumb question.

I only have TMC 5262's which are 2X long and 2XH down to size 12, but want to tie down to 16's. When I first tie a fly I prefer to use the hooks and materials that the pattern I'm following calls for. I know that there is nothing wrong with switching some things up. After I'm satisfied with my ties then I might experiment.

I went to Allen Fly Fishing website to order some more 5262's down to sz 16, but currently Justin only has them down to sz 14. However, one pattern I read said you can use either 5262's or 5263's, but the 5263's are 3X Long would the addition 1X length make them look off?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Tom,

In lieu of materials I would use whatever you have on hand. You may be pleasantly surprised and come up with something that will work well. I don't tie copper John's but almost everything I make has some level of substitution in the materials. Many of the knock offs work so well I've been copying my own stuff for years.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I do it exactly like Ard...unless you own a fly shop, you're just not going to have everything that is called for. Many materials are great duplicates; and I can't remember when I read a recipe that I had everything exactly as prescribed. Hooks are the same way as far as I'm concerned...others may disagree, but you can get creative here also; the fish don't know (most of the time). You can fudge a size every now and then, especially when you have the next size up or down in shorer or longer lengths. What you put on the hook is way more important than having the exact hook. For example...I just tied a dozen bh hares ears. I wanted half 14's and half 16's. Just so happens that I got a big 100 pack of size 16 2xl nymphs hooks, so instead of tying 14's and 16's, I tied 16-2xl's and 16's in standard length. The size difference is just about the same.

It is true that the original recipes are tried and true, but if your copper john has most of the same coloring, size, etc. just make due like MoscaPescador said, put a couple strands of crystal flash side by side.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Ard and Ausablebrown: Thanks so much you guys always give excellent advice...even if I sometimes insist on doing things my way. I'm going to go ahead and give a couple strands of Crystal flash a try, but I've also hedged my bets and order some H2O flash from Fly Tiers Dungeon which is their version of flashabou.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I never have used Thin Skin on mine - didn't know it was even there.

Does that stuff come in colors? Looks like Mr. Barr is using Black?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I never have used Thin Skin on mine - didn't know it was even there.

Does that stuff come in colors? Looks like Mr. Barr is using Black?
John Barr is using black and yes in comes in several colors the Wapsi website lists them all and shows pictures of a least some of them Welcome to Wapsi Fly, Inc. - Thin Skin
Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

KF isn't flat because its twisted. Pull the twist out and you've got really skinny flashabou to tie in.

But I actually wouldn't worry about pulling the twist out. The point of the twist in KF is that it flashes at more angles. I don't see why this would be a bad thing on the back of a Copper John.

So what if it doesn't look right to you or somebody else? We're not the one's you're trying to feed it to.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.