The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default A custom desk to be built

I plan in sitting down after reviewing some other desks, and drawing out my own custom table to be built by a professional, but as it will be my first dedicated desk, I would like feedback from other tiers about what they like and don't like or wish they had.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: A custom desk to be built

Hi hypobaricstalker,

There is one very important feature that any good desk should have if you have children, cats or wife. You have to be able to close it up and hide the mess and protect the kids and cat. I have a cat and my desk is in a closet. When I am done tying I can close the door and the cat is safe and the wife is happy.

One of the best ways to go is a roll top desk. Especially if it has all the little drawers and shelves. A roll top desk gives you the ability to sit up under the tying area but you can still close the cover with out packing everything up.

Some desk have a table that folds out for a tying station and then closes when you are done. This look nice but you have to put everything away in order to close the fold out table.

What I want is a separate unit from the desk to store hooks and small parts. Peg board on a wall to your right or left is great for storing other materials. If you don't have the wall space a floor standing Lazy Susan that is five feet tall or so. Something like you see in a store for displaying tying materials for sale. A Lazy Susan on each side that I can reach with out getting up would work for me.

Don't forget good directional lighting. You need a way to get it just right but not in the way. I like the Giraffe light and their separate magnifier. buy multiple bases to hold the light and you can move them around to different locations as your work requires.

I do have a problem where drawers slide out into the working area. The only time you ever want anything from the drawers is when the desk top is full of stuff and you can't get the drawer open all the way. That is why I like the stand alone storage chest. I prefer to store feathers (necks) in a drawer rather than hanging them up. Something like the Stoney Creek Credenza will store a ton of fly tying materials. Keep an eye out at used furniture stores for a chest of drawers or a credenza.

Frank

Tibbals Roll Top Desk
Click the image to open in full size.

Tibbals Roll Top Desk

Tibbals Storrage Chest

Roberto Lavadie Custom Furniture

Stoney Creek Credenza

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 05-14-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I was going to go with a custom built desk or desk like the ones from Tibbal, but I decided to just use plastic drawers and a desk I already have. However, I built a tying surface that I place on top of the existing desk. I'm glad I went this route as its left more money for tying materials, tools, hooks, and other fly fishing related items. I don't know if budget is an issue for you, but if so its something to consider.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like those roll top's Frank,

I used one from 1978 - 2004 and the ability to close it and hide my mess was a great feature. When I moved here I gave my desk to a good friend along with most of my heavy furniture. The desk type known as the secretaries desk has always appealed to me. These are the ones with the drop front that forms a nice big table top when you have them open.

Although there is always someone who ties brilliant flies in very spartan conditions I believe that when people are enjoying their tying station that it inspires them to do better work. Charlie, you will of course show us what you come up with I hope............

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

Of course Ard.

In response to all of the above, I've tried the cheap desk way, but my lady is very fond of having a nice furniture. I started to look around the web and as I thought to my self "Oh, i like that, on that desk" and continued to find little things that I liked, it got me thinking of trying to build one with my father, but then he lives out in California, so dont want to hassle with shipping. I figured I'll design one the best I can with my art and engineering background, and find someone in these hard days on craigslist.

As of right now the desk will have...

a matte white top so that I can see little objects.

a tray the length of the desk to catch or hold various objects.

3 lights on flexmounts with adjustable brightness.

a 12-16" cubby above desk before any drawers or cabinets so they will not interfere with the device or items on the desk.

The first 3-4 drawers will be low profile drawers designed specifically to hold hooks and beads in an organized fashion, and I'm contemplating the same for tied flies and storage. I might make the tied flies a hole separate entity.

I'll try to get some sketchwork done today.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi hypobaricstalker,

The white desk top is a good idea. You might consider covering it with Polyurethane of some kind. I like it a lot better than a painted wood top. If you spill glue or cement on the Polyurethane it won't stick like it does on wood. I have a small tying station that I covered the top with a cutting board and it works great. Easy to clean up and I can cut things on it. A pedestal base vise will pretty much stay put on the Poly board.

Frank
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Frank, those desks and storage cabinet were superb. I am tying on a tv tray table...lol. You are making me want a couple of these, badly. :-)
Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I really like Frank's suggestions. And to think I thought the knee vise I was tying on was all there was.