The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road
Default Just what I need...another addiction!

New guy here gents.
Just got a starter vice and tied some roadkill I had laying around to some hooks to get the hang.

They aint purty lemme tell ya Reckon they fall under the "attractor" category so far

Lucky for me the fish I'm usually after are dang near retarded cause they've been gobblin' em down.

I'll fish the bigmouths and pannies this year till I get solid with the rod (just started that too) and than I'll head after the trouts and chrome.

Look forward to learning from some of you seasoned guys.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just what I need...another addiction!

Boreal-

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you're having fun with the tying. Feel free to ask questions as you get into it-- materials can be really confusing with all the choices of stuff out there these days. And if you want some constructive feedback from folks, post pics of your flies (there's instructions in the FAQ section).

There is also a ton of info in old posts and a "sticky" with fly tying tips to check out if you haven't already.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

boreal: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! As you are finding out, your flies don't have to be pretty to catch lots of fish. Over time your flies will get pretty, it just takes a little practice like everything else. One of the best books out there for begining tiers is Charlie Craven's "Basic Fly Tying".
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books

Charlie's Fly Box has 158 patterns posted with a listing of the materials and detailed photos on how to tie. Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Good luck with your tying and like Mark said, don't hesitate to ask questions.

Larry
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Much obliged gents.
I've found youtube to be invaluable for one as thick as I but I am in the market for a few books. I'll check it out.

Questions will certainly be coming
Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

boreal: You can't beat YouTube for fly tying, but Charlie's book is chuck full of fly tying techniques that will be very beneficial to you.

Larry
Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Welcome to the addiction Boreal.
I agree with Larry on the Charlie Craven book. I still refer to it constantly.
Here's a story about the bad looking fly. The guy that I was fishing with on Saturday showed me his fly. He was down to bare lead wire wraps on the shank and a marabou tail, lol. He kept fishing it and landing fish (a lot of them).
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Welcome to the addiction Boreal.
I agree with Larry on the Charlie Craven book. I still refer to it constantly.
Here's a story about the bad looking fly. The guy that I was fishing with on Saturday showed me his fly. He was down to bare lead wire wraps on the shank and a marabou tail, lol. He kept fishing it and landing fish (a lot of them).
Well a man has to have some sense of moral turpitude Jimmie. Mine are UGLY but there's always some kind of hairball wrapped around the hook albeit often barely hangin' on there. I'd have a hard time living with myself knowing I was catchin' fish to dumb to know the difference btw a worn out bugger and one of my masterpieces.

Truth is...with the way I cast I lose em on the back swing before I get a chance to wear em out
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Boreal, Welcome to the forum from another SEMI... Where you located?

Dan
Old 05-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Boreal, Welcome to the forum from another SEMI... Where you located?

Dan
Howdy Dan. Nice to see a local boy! I live in Novi now but grew up in Monroe.
I still wade pieces of the Raisin once in a while and cut my teeth on Erie when it was still mud addled before the Zebras.

You ever get up here look me up. I have a few local stillwater spots to fish pannies and bass if you stoop so low I minutes from 12 Oaks mall so "shopping for the missus while the boys catch some fishes"
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

It's not stooping if a fish will take a fly...The Raisin and the Huron are two of my favorite places to fish...

Dan