The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hoppicator: Hopper Pattern

I thought some of you might be interested in this technique for tying a hopper called the Hoppicater (developed by Mikey Wier) when fishing a hopper dropper combo. If you look closely at the fly it has a mono loop tied in the front and the back. The front loop is used to tie in the leader similiar to the way you would tie in a Thingamabobber so that it can be adjusted up and down the leader. Then the leader is inserted through the trailing loop so that the hoppicator floats evenly, and then the dropper flies can be tied at the bottom.
The Hoppicator The Winona Fly Factory

Larry
Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hoppicator: Hopper Pattern

Awesome vid and a great idea. Thanks Larry
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Cool video Larry...

Dan
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

It is a great way to fish a hopper pattern. Mikey showed a few of us in Tahoe how he ties them a while back and they work great!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Great Larry. With your explaination, his video, and a few PM's I think this rookie gets it. Nice of him to share with us. Is he just tying mono to the shank to make the loops? I'd wonder if the mono was going to slip opening the loop. Any tricks?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Great Larry. With your explaination, his video, and a few PM's I think this rookie gets it. Nice of him to share with us. Is he just tying mono to the shank to make the loops? I'd wonder if the mono was going to slip opening the loop. Any tricks?
Jimmie: The internet is great and having guides like Mikey Wier share some of their patterns is even better.

Read the first link I posted (just above the video), the gal tying the hoppicator explains that she is using 14 lb fluoro, to make the mono loops and roughed it up a bit, tied it to the fly shank using 50 denier white GSP thread and then used zap-a-gap to glue it on.

Larry
Old 05-11-2010, 12:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that video a couple months ago, when I too became "sick of fishing bobber style indicators". I also became sick of fish hitting my hookless foam
indicators. We've had a couple threads regarding indicators, and many people here have said they use them because they want to catch fish. I would say that if you really want to catch fish, a hopper-dropper will cover you on top and down deeper. I doubt anyone ever caught a fish on bob-a-ma-thingy.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,
I've seen this video before and I was interest in tying a fly like this. Does anyone have a recipe for this fly or a fly similar to this one.

Also, I still am not clear on how you attach on the dropper fly. Maybe you guys can help.

Thanks a lot-Bobby
Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Last year that was the best selling hopper in the shop. The funny thing about it was that I could not get a fish to take that fly. However many fish took the droppers.

I haven't started, but I plan on tying my Chernobyl Ant/Hoppers with the mono loops.

In the tying video, the young lady used 6/0 thread. Jack Dennis turned me onto Danville 3/0 monocore thread for foam body flies. It is available in many earthtone colors. It lays down flat without cutting into the foam. Standard 6/0 thread can cut into the foam if you are not careful.

MP
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Last year that was the best selling hopper in the shop. The funny thing about it was that I could not get a fish to take that fly. However many fish took the droppers.

I haven't started, but I plan on tying my Chernobyl Ant/Hoppers with the mono loops.

In the tying video, the young lady used 6/0 thread. Jack Dennis turned me onto Danville 3/0 monocore thread for foam body flies. It is available in many earthtone colors. It lays down flat without cutting into the foam. Standard 6/0 thread can cut into the foam if you are not careful.

MP
MP: Thanks, that is a great tip on the 3/0 monocore thread!

Bobby: Take a look at this link: The Hoppicator The Winona Fly Factory
You will see another video insdie the link that shows how the fly is tied and has a list of materials, but take note of what MP is saying about not using the 6/0 thread. All the rear mono loop is used for is to thread the leader through after connecting to the front monto loop. You connect the leader to the front mono loop just like you would if you were fastening a Thingamabobber strike indicator to the leader..........then take the leader end and thread it through the rear mono loop (don't tie it just thread it through). Then on the end of your leader tie on some tippet material and then a dropper. The whole idea with this setup is to use the hoppicator as the strike indicator and if you tie it in like you would a Thingamabobber, then as you change positions on the stream and want to go deeper or shallower with the dropper it is easy to adjust the hoppicator on the leader instead of having to tie on a new piece of tippet each time you make an adjustment.

Larry