The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road
Default Best Online Place for Tying Materials?

Hey Everyone,

New to the forums here, but I did a "search" on the this topic and didn't come up with anything, so here goes.

I'm looking to purchase some fly tying materials online. I've looked on both Cabella's and Bass Pro Shops, specifically the kits. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/recommendations of other sites that might have better deals for materials.

Thanks in advance,

Gusto
Old 05-11-2010, 06:24 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Best Online Place for Tying Materials?

Gusto

One of the fullest online sources I've seen is Feather Craft. Here is a link to the site.

http://www.feather-craft.com

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Gusto,

Feather-craft is at the top of my list. They not only have a great selection but they also offer top grade if you want it. Order their catalog, you will read it for hours. You can order it on line.

If you live out West then Kaufmann's Streamborn is very good and so is The Fly Shop. The fly shop offers a catalog but not Kaufmann's.

Frank
Old 05-11-2010, 06:49 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I like Jann's.
Rod Building Supplies | Lure Making Supplies | Fly Tying Supplies | Fishing Hooks

They're semi local for me tho...their shop's 45 min or so south but they've got great prices and a pretty big selection.
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

If you are looking for strickly tying materials like dubbing, flash, etc. try looking at www.flytyersdungeon.com

I picked up one of his Christmas boxes for $25 & could not believe how much stuff was in there for that amount of coin.

It's worth a look.

Tie One On------------------<*))))))))><
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 PM

gusto is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great links. I'll be sure to check ALL of them out!

Gusto
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've also used Feathercraft and they have excellent selection. Another online shop with great selection is JStockard JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials, particularly since they offer meaningful monthly specials which entices me to use them more than the other online stores. For example, this month they offer 20% off all Tiemco hooks among other specials. Last month they offered 15% off on all beads (brass, tungsten & glass) and I loaded up on those.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 AM

brandy will become famous soon enough

I second Feathercraft and FlytyersDungeon. I ordered the christmas box too....for the amount of products it was a steal. They have great products, and IMHO you get more than your money's worth.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

FeatherCraft gets my vote...I haven't tried the Dungeon or Stockards yet...

Dan
Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

most of the tying materials i have came from JStockard...they have good specials as well as a rewards system where you can get points for things you buy and then use them as money