The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 PM

mepeterser2451 is on a distinguished road
Default hooks

hey you guys, i'm buying some more hooks. How do you know if certain hooks are for fly fishing? i'm buying some old mustads on ebay. here's a link to the ones i was looking at

Mustad Fishing Hooks - Sheepshead 3948 Size 18 Qty 500 - eBay (item 370379515753 end time May-14-10 09:48:39 PDT)
Old 05-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: hooks

I would go to Mustads home site and try to cross reference the numbers. Or simply ask the seller if they are fine wire dry fly hooks.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

They are not fly hooks but work, i bought over 10,000 from him. some of the hooks are off set at the bend, I just bend them straight in the vice. that one is a nymph or wet fly style.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM

mepeterser2451 is on a distinguished road

ok thanks guys! i was looking to get wet fly hooks too. i figured these would work. just wanted to know the difference between them. dry fly are much thinner then?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yes dry fly hooks will have thinner wire (usually written as "1 extra fine" or "3 xf" in the description of the hook). The "extra strong" designation refers to heavier wire in the hook, and the extra weight would be a sign that it would be best for wet flies and nymphs if used for tying--- originally this was used for bait fishing. This style of hook with a heavy wire standard length shank could be used for stuff like soft hackles and other wet flies, although most hooks used for this purpose have a down eye instead of the straight eye these hooks have. Nymphs are often (but not always) tied on hooks with a 1xl or 2xl shank length, but could be tied on this as well.

Standard length Mustad dry fly hooks have numbers like R50-94840 and R30-94833 (the "R50" and "R30" reflect Mustad's new labeling system, the older stock hooks were just labelled 94840 or 94833).

In looking at his other items it didn't appear that the seller had any hooks that were considered "fly tying" hooks, although some could be used for tying.

If you are going to use hooks not normally used for tying, just make sure they aren't "bait holder" hooks with sharp spears along the shank that are designed to hold worms etc. because they will cut your thread when tying.