Fly Tying Lamp

Jimmie

Reaction score
Ott Lite is known for true colors. I've got this one, and couldn't believe this sale price (slightly more than the cost of a replacement bulb). To be honest I don't use the magnifier lens, but so what at that price.
OttLite® High Definition Jupiter Magnifier Lamp*: desk & table lamps*: lighting*: Shop | Joann.com

Something happened since I posted. They had it at approx. $44.99. Now it's showing $107 which I wouldn't pay.

This is now down to $29.99 from $269.00. May have to check this out for myself locally. Link: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?PRODID=prd55140&green=25014225139

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
JP,

Although there are many that are made specifically for the fly tying market I have been using what is known commonly as a Jewelers or Watchmakers Lamp for many years. They are an adjustable lamp with a 4" 4X magnifier right on the head, all one piece. Here in the states they sell at 29.99 - 49.99 depending on the maker. Below is a picture of the one I have here in AK. The picture shows the light head and magnifier glass. Go have a look at a Lighting Store and ask for a Jewelers Lamp.

[/IMG]

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Jimmie and Ard....I'm a bit reluctant to buy one with a magnifier ....I'm afraid not to be able to tie without then:eek:going to think it over.:)

dhayden

Reaction score

FlyBum

Reaction score
Ott light or other light with a "Natural Light" bulb. I actually use two on my tying desk, one is very big and heavy and also has a magnifier and the other is one of the portable battery or ac powered Ott lights. I've discovered I like a lot of light when tying flies. If I could get one of those 6' fluorescent fixtures and fit it with "Natual Light" bulbs and hang it somewhat low over my tying desk I think then I be in tying heaven.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Dave, that one in the Feather Craft link is the big one I have and its very nice, but its not very portable.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Tom,

I actually have an old jewelers lamp with three miniature florescent tubes in the head. It has remained in CO. storage ever since I moved here. I use a 40 watt spot bulb in the lamp I pictured here and it seems just right.

JP,

Once you tie a #18 with the lens I have you'll never go back. When you see these pictures of tiny flies that are every bit perfect in their proportions and finish I highly suspect they are tied under a magnifier lens.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I'm 100% with Ard regarding the magnifying lens. Peak sells a lens on a flex stem, and it fits into the base's accessory hole. It's a fantastic aid in tying, and I use it for most flies #14 and smaller. I'll even use it for larger flies when forming a head. Flies that look good under magnification look great to the naked eye. ;)

I have a cheapo lamp ($12) that I bought from Ikea at least 6 years ago. It has a small halogen bulb, and I'm still waiting for it to need replacing. I would like to try one of the McKenzie type lamps. I have viewed flies through that lamp in shops, and its small size is appealing. I see plenty of exhibition tyers using them, so they can't be too bad......

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Jp,

I have the Giraffe light and magnifier set up. the magnifier has no frame and works very well. Both the light and the magnifier have long flexible shafts that allows the light to be in any position. The light is built so the heat does not heat on the cover in case you accidentally touch it.

I remove the bases that the shaft fasten to and mounted them on the desk. They are quick disconnect so you can easily remove or place in a different mounting position with extra bases. This is not a cheap option but they are extremely well built and heavy duty. You can see in the photo that the light can be placed well away from the vise.

Frank

Giraffe Light Mag Combination

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
. . . I would like to try one of the McKenzie type lamps. I have viewed flies through that lamp in shops, and its small size is appealing. I see plenty of exhibition tyers using them, so they can't be too bad......
I have a McKenzie lamp/magnifier which I custom-fit to my earlier Danvise (drilled out the mounting hole with a 10mm drill to fit the Danvise's non-standard shaft diameter). When I bought my current Peak, I bought a McKenzie lamp only, since I found that magnifying glasses actually worked better when tying flies.

kelkay

Reaction score
Daylight Desk Lamp with Magnifier - by The Daylight Com 129.99 on Ebay.

This may not be the exact model number, but it is close to what I have now. I got mine from a different dealer, but he didn't have the same lamp up there now. The light is awesome, the magnifier is just okay.

Joni

Reaction score
I really like my Rockler. You can unscrew the magnifier/led for easy transportation. A killer clamp and the magnet on this is insane!!! Runs off 3 - AAA or AC/DC with adaptor plug that comes with it. I got three days of 3 to 5 hours out of the batteries, probably more, but that was all in a row. Used it at both tying expos this year and very happy with it, even on those #32.

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Regardless of brand/style, my only recommendation is to avoid the magnifiers with the incandescent bulbs - they get too hot when tying. Stay with the older flourescent or the newer LEDs. Considering the lifespan of LEDs, if you choose an LED style you will never have to worry about replacing any bulbs/LEDs!

Joni

Reaction score
Good point Brew. I use to use the kind that use regular light bulbs, and although low wattage, they did get warm. Plus changed bulbs all the time
I still use my fluorescent and it gets warm too. That bulb is going on like 6 years though.
And the new baby with LED's....well, let's just say SWEET!!!!!

ghost_reaper

Reaction score
Whale,

The magnification level is pretty low. You might want to keep that in mind depending on what you want to tie. I use cheater at 2x and I still have a hard time seeing what I want to see. :teef:

stimmy7

Reaction score
I had a version of the first one, have a version of the 3rd one and think the footprint on the 2nd one would be inconvienient. The problem with 1 and 3 is I could never get them at an angle where the magnifier was positioned properly and the hood wasn't in my way... and the arms don't have very finite adjustments.

I have patches of melanoma leisions on th ebacks of both of my hands from a high intensity color corected fly tying lamp (Krypton or Xenon bulb) that I tyed under for 4-5 years. It cost over $100 and provided fantastic light, but at a great cost to me. Now when I go out in the sun, these patches on my hands swell and retain fluid, so I fish with fingerless sun gloves on.

I'd strongly recommend an LED lamp with or without a magnifier and if it doesn't have one, go with 'cheater reading glasses' from the drug store. The dollar store has crappy ones for $3-4 a pair- I have a couple with a croakie attached so I can pull them off an on easily, they help in low light at streamside for knot tying on size 20s too.

Pocono

Reaction score
Daylight Desk Lamp with Magnifier - by The Daylight Com 129.99 on Ebay.

This may not be the exact model number, but it is close to what I have now. I got mine from a different dealer, but he didn't have the same lamp up there now. The light is awesome, the magnifier is just okay.
Yup, just bought one. I'm setting up a new tying bench up here in Maine; should be ready to go in a couple more weeks.

Pocono